1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Foreign Travelers Who Eat Beef: Is It Taboo In India?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by hellotraveler, Jan 18, 2016.

1. hellotraveler

hellotraveler Member

I have read that India is the biggest exporter of beef, yet cows are sacred in the country. In the United States, it is very common to eat dishes with beef or pork for many. So should I avoid eating anything with beef in it while visiting India?

I am ok with switching to chicken or ham if I need to, but I don't want people to get upset with me if I have a steak or a hamburger while traveling. Is this a big deal in India, or something I should avoid?

2. iamawriter

iamawriter Member

In the good old days beef was freely available. But with the present government they are putting restrictions everywhere. At this point in time India is going through rough waters over this matter. Murders and lynching is taking place.

3. Karan

Karan Member

In India, the consumption of beef is a complex and sensitive issue due to cultural, religious, and legal factors. While it's true that India is one of the largest exporters of beef, the domestic consumption of beef varies across different states and communities.

The cow is considered sacred in Hinduism, the majority religion in India, and slaughtering cows for beef is banned in several states. In some states, the sale and consumption of beef are strictly regulated or prohibited. However, in other states, especially in the northeastern and southern parts of the country, beef consumption is more widely accepted.

To avoid any potential cultural or religious sensitivities, especially if you are uncertain about local practices in the specific region you are visiting, it's advisable to err on the side of caution and avoid consuming beef during your stay in India. Instead, you can explore the diverse and delicious vegetarian and non-beef/non-pork options available in Indian cuisine, which is rich in flavors and variety.

Chicken and lamb are more widely accepted across India, and you'll find a plethora of dishes featuring these meats. Additionally, seafood is popular in coastal regions.

It's always a good idea to be respectful of local customs and dietary preferences while traveling, and doing so will likely contribute to a more positive and enjoyable experience during your visit to India.