1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fun Idea - Be An Extra In A Bollywood Movie!

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Sandy, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Sandy

Sandy Guest

For about a decade now, a lot of Westerners have enjoyed watching Bollywood movies because it's such a different style from typical Hollywood. Now, there is even advice on how to become an extra in a Bollywood movie because so many Americans want to know. I'm not sure how hard or far-fetched the idea is, but I recently read an article on the Orbitz Travel website called "How to be a Film Extra in Bollywood." The article summarizes that if you spend time in the right places in Mumbai, you could end up as an extra. If you don't want to research the entire article, I thought I'd summarize the main tips below:

Locations that Orbitz advices you go: Colaba Causeway, Leopold Cafe, or Gateway of India. The advice column says to make sure you look cute and tell people that you want to be an extra in any movie. The locals can usually find you leads or let you know when scouts are in looking for Westerners. They also say you can go to Salvation Army Red Shield Hostel where Orbitz says there is often just a sign up sheet to be in the movies.

Other tips: Orbitz advises that you always ask for ID, the name of the movie, and go with a group to avoid any scams. They also warn that this isn't a job - you won't really be paid for it and it's more to get the fun of being in a Bollywood movie, if only for one day.

Has anyone done this? Would you be interested in doing it? How realistic do you think it is to be in a Bollywood movie?

hellotraveler likes this.

2. Rezonate

Rezonate Member

Bombay is the heart of Bollywood and the movie industry in India is booming I think they turn out more than 1,000 films annually. You're best bet or ones best bet is to go to Colaba Causeway this is where casting agents and many many movie and film agents go out and look for talent and extras.

3. We'd love to be in a Bollywood movie, even just as background - the blink and you'll miss us kind of appearance. These films are so vibrant and OTT - who could resist being part of one?

4. Rye

Rye New Member

That sounds like it would be a lot of fun and an added adventure to your travel! Even to watch them filming a movie would be exciting!

5. Sandy

Sandy Guest

Thank you for the great tip regarding going straight to Colaba Causeway. I was wondering if anyone could verify this information. Don't get me wrong, the tips seem legit, but it's the only article I have ever seen written about this subject. What's funny is that being in a Bollywood movie is something I could see a lot of people wanting to do. Obviously you're unlikely to be the next Aishwarya Rai unless you're Indian and a beauty queen lol, but being involved is exciting. If anyone goes to Colaba Causeway or alvation Army Red Shield Hostel, let us know how it goes!

6. tabby

tabby Member

This sounds like a lot of fun! Unfortunately for me I'm no Westerner, so I won't probably get the chance to be an extra, haha! Anyway, I saw from goindia.about.com that foreigners are always in demand to be extras in Bollywood movies. The article also mentioned to hang around Colaba Causeway in Mumbai. Leopold's Cafe, according to the site, is likely a good place where foreigners are approached to be an extra. The article warned about long hours and lots of waiting time though for a pay of around 500 rupees per day.

7. hellotraveler

hellotraveler Member

Dude! This sounds like a lot of fun to me! I would love to do something like this! I hope that I get a chance to someday. I probably wouldn't even ask on my first trip, but if everything goes well and I go back again for a longer time, I would love to have fun and be an extra in a film! That would rock! I wouldn't be too concerned about the pay of 500 rupees per day as much as I would just being able to do it and show my friends that I was able to have a part in a movie while traveling around!

8. grace

grace New Member

This would be so much fun. Maybe we should just drop by that area on our travels and see if we can end up in a movie! Is it possible to just book a Bollywood set tour?

9. tabby

tabby Member

You're definitely right! Being an extra in a Bollywood would surely count as a Mastercard moment: PRICELESS, haha! The experience itself is pay enough. I mean, imagine the reaction of friends once they see a clip of you! Someone we know caught in camera for even a split second during a live news report would even illicit tons of reaction from friends and family, how much more if it's a Bollywood film. I can now imagine them cracking up and having a few good laughs. Memories truly worth keeping. I hope you'll have that chance :)

10. Jiggy

Jiggy New Member

My whole family would really get a kick out of this! I'm glad I saw it mentioned here because I don't think I would have thought of it otherwise. Thanks for the tips!

11. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I'm still in the planning stages of my India trip, but I would adore doing something like this! I feel like it would be an experience that you could truly only get in India - and I really love doing unique things when I'm on vacation.

Plus, how cool of a story would that be to tell your family and friends?! "Oh, so I was an extra in a Bollywood film!"

Never even thought of doing this before reading this thread but now I am really intrigued!

12. freddi

freddi Member

I wonder what the Indian definition of 'cute' is? I'd imagine it differs from culture to culture...Japanese 'kawaii' cute is pretty intense compared to what we would consider to be cute in Britain, for example.

13. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

These days we can see white faces on almost all Bollywood movies. If you are a woman with blond hair, good figures, you can fit as a background dancer in Bollywood songs. You can visit a movie studio and talk to the manager. There are always seeking fresh faces for their movies.