1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting a tattoo done in India

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Liliana743, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Liliana743

Liliana743 New Member

Hi

I am a student of archaeology and I have spent a good time in reading and learning about Hindu gods, Indian history, culture, faith and practices etc. On my first trip to India, as a lifetime memory I want to get a tattoo done in India. Can I find a good and trustworthy tattoo artist in India who uses clean and disposable needles only? Does anyone have any suggestions and which region is good to get a tattoo done in India? Most of my friends have suggested Goa and Himachal Pradesh as two options to get a quality tattoo done in India. Do you have any experience to share?

Regards,
    Liliana

2. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

There are plenty of tattoo artists in Delhi, infact you will find one in every other mall. Tatttoo's are cheaper in India and quality is going to be the same.

3. Deven

Deven Member

Always go to a reputed outlet and not just the ordinary small market shops, due to the quality and hygiene. Goa has some good places for tattoos, but not sure about Himachal but I would avoid it there. I would suggest a mall in Gurgaon instead or a reputed tattoo studio.

4. Sunny

Sunny New Member

Even in malls you need to make sure they are good and are a known shop. Another thing make sure that your tattoo artist is qualified and experienced, so your don't want a permanent disaster!

5. ChaiNashta

ChaiNashta Active Member

There is one at Ambiance mall Gurgaon who does a good job. Ask at any shop and they would point you where to go.

6. Jessica_91

Jessica_91 Member

I got a tattoo done on my back recently from a place called Funky Monkey at DLF city center which is on MG road at Gurgaon. They did a good job and the price was very reasonable.

7. Diva

Diva New Member

It is easy to tell whether a tattoo shop is good or not, you can tell by the way they have their equipment, whether they wear gloves or not etc.

8. cabrannon529

cabrannon529 New Member

Wow, I've never thought of getting a tattoo done in India. I'll be going soon, and I'd love to get a traditional one, like of a Hindu god like you said, or something. That would be great.

9. btalivny

btalivny Member

I can vouch for the corporation Funky Monkey. They are relatively very popular in malls with the younger crowd. From what I have heard from colleagues, they do a great job and are more or less professional about it. Be careful where you go, apply common sense, and understand the various risks that may come.

10. fatema

fatema New Member

To be honest, I think henna is way better and safer than tattoos. If your going to get a tattoo, do research on it in India first. I can't say anything, because I haven't gotten one there yet. Also, if you decide to do a henna tattoo in India, make sure it's not black henna, it can totally ruin your skin! It's so scary, it's like you're burned. To me, henna is more beautiful than a tattoo! Just make sure it's not black!

11. Chrisanswer

Chrisanswer New Member

Tattoo's are very cheap in India and there are lots of artists available to choose from. The basic rules are the same in India as in any other country. You should ask to see previous work the tattoo artist has done, so you can best gage his talent or lack there of in some cases. Find as clean place, because the kind of work you asking for might be very intricate and if something goes wrong and you get an infection, your looking at painful redness in the heat of India. Trust me, I've had bad work done both here and in India and it wasn't pretty in either circumstance. But good luck, and I hope you get what you need and your happy with it.

fatema likes this.
  12. Codygr89

Codygr89 New Member

Remember just because their work looks good doesn't mean it is a safe and clean place. You need to do your own research by visiting some places rather than taking advice from people.

Things change, it may have been perfectly safe and clean when someone else went, but they may have new artists or management and things have turned terribly wrong.

13. btalivny

btalivny Member

If you want to be completely realistic with yourself, you could assess that the risk involved to save a few dollars (or whatever currency) is not worth it. There are some things that paying extra for to guarantee a peace of mind is worth. Getting something health related is on that list. The problem with India is that their are not a lot of detailed reviews on many places because the concept is new and slowly evolving.

14. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Honestly unless I had someone I knew with personal experience having been there, and knew the store was still in the same hands I don't think I would get a tattoo done. That goes for the country I live in now or India, or anywhere else in the world. I want to be safe when it comes to that and also I want the work they do to be quality and not something I would regret.

15. btalivny

btalivny Member

I will add that you need first hand reviews for any of the images the artist shows you to be relevant. India is more or less still a poor nation and although they are improving, many will do anything for money; qualified or not.

16. ilivetofly

ilivetofly New Member

To be honest I don't know much about tattoo practices in India but I would have a look about before you commit to anything, ask to see things like needle bins and ask about practices and such. You might even be able to ask if you can sit in and watch someone else get a tattoo done. I would hold it to the same standard as you would for your local tattoo parlours and even pop into a local one and ask about what there sanitary practices are so you know what to look for.

A website for the parlour is also a good idea.

17. travelguide

travelguide Active Member

I think the most important fact to consider before getting a tattoo is the hygiene factors. Always check out the sanitation and hygiene conditions at the studio where you intend to get it done. Just ensure that they use sterilized / disposable tools to do this. I believe you already know about the dangers of using non-sterilized tools and how fatal it can be. So, it is better to clear your doubts beforehand.

18. Rezonate

Rezonate Member

That would be an awesome thing to accomplish. I'm pretty sure the tattoo artists would have some kind of portfolio to look at to kind of get a gauge on his capabilities as a tattoo artist. Of course safety too is the number one priority when getting a tattoo done as well so make sure you look at their track record when it comes to safety.