1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GPS For Trekking in India

Discussion in 'Trekking and Mountaineering' started by himatbani, Jun 16, 2016.

1. himatbani

himatbani New Member

I wanted to know that if I go trekking in India would I be able to use my GPS for the routes to help me get to my destination.

I think it is a rare chance of there will be any mobile coverage in places where there are treks, but trying a long shot or hoping that there maybe some other device which I could use GPS for trekking in India for.

2. Danny Luke

Danny Luke Member

Most GPS apps and software work wherever there is mobile signal. I'm pretty sure as well that there are several apps made specifically for people traveling in India. A quick search on Google should be able to help you out. Of course, there is always the possibility that you will be trekking through places wherein there is no signal. With that said, it's still a good idea to bring a traditional map with you. Make sure that it's updated and accurate though. Or better yet, get the services of a tourist guide. Nothing beats having a guide who knows exactly where you should and shouldn't go.

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello there and welcome to the forum!

For trekkers, using their mobile phones aren't really recommended for two reasons:
    • Most GPS apps require internet or mobile data to work.
    • GPS apps in phones take up so much battery.
    For these reasons, your better option would be to buy GPS enabled devices or handheld GPS devices. Most of these devices are affordable and you can find them online even. The best part is, you can load maps into them so you can use these when trekking. They are also made specifically for the purpose of trekking or tracking your routes so they have long-lasting battery.

Here are some devices for trekkers that you can use:
    • Handheld GPS Device - This device is typically used for smaller routes. You can store maps here as well as include points of interests and routes.
    • GPS Watches - These are small devices equipped with GPS as well as altimeter, compass, temperature and other sensors.

But before buying your GPS device, keep these in mind:
    • Some devices won't work under trees. Check if your device would work under these circumstances.
    • Buy a backup battery for safety purposes. Also, the more compact the device, the less burden it is for you.
    • You have to download topographic maps as most GPS devices have useless base world maps.

I can then recommend two brands of GPS Handheld Devices for you:
    • Garmin eTrex - This is on average at Rs. 6,000 per unit. You can even avail of a secondhand unit in online shops. This unit is one of the cheapest ones in the country and in the world. It runs on AA batteries as well so it's easy to find replacement for your batteries. You can download SRTM Maps here.
    • Garmin GPS Map 62 - This one's around Rs. 15,000 per unit. This has more memory and power than the former unit mentioned. It also has a bigger antenna and can even accommodate Google Maps.
    • Map My India - They have apps aside from GPS Handheld Devices. They're very expensive though but their maps are quite extensive and accurate.

There you go. I hope this helps!