1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide To Shopping Bazaars In India By Region!

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Sandy, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Sandy

Sandy Guest

I was looking at the About website's guide to shopping bazaars in India by region. I think this is a great way to make the most of your travels to the country. For example, Rajashtan is best know for buying low cost semi precious stones. There are shops located throughout this desert region. Orissa is known for its jewelry. Karnataka and Mysore are known for sandalwood, incense, and ayurvedic powders. Uttar Pradesh is known for brass and copper figurines. Goa is known for specialized alcoholic drinks and clothes, and Maharashtra is known for shoes. I think Goa makes a lot of sense since it's most famous for its beaches.

Other regions included in the travel guide include Kolkata for house decorations and trinkets, Chennai for silks, and Bihar for wood carvings. I recognize Bihar as the birthplace of the Dubey's character's love in the movie Monsoon Wedding.

I know that places like Turkey are known for its shopping bazaars, but in my mind India is the place to go since it's historically THE place to be for all things trade. What is your experience in a traditional Indian bazaar?

amelia88 and Jackie like this.

2. Tabitha

Tabitha New Member

I don't have any experience in Indian bazaars but I do love markets. There is something about the atmosphere at these places where you can bargain or negotiate a mutually agreeable price. There is always an air of excitement to these places. I'd love to see the semi precious stone bazaar, I love different colored stones.

3. Jackie

Jackie Member

Sandy, thanks for posting this! I'm very interested in bringing back souvenirs in the way of household decorations because we are on the brink of buying our first house. Knowing that Kolkata is a good place to go for trinkets makes me think I should focus some of my research on that region.

Sandy likes this.
  4. Sandy

Sandy Guest

Same here, I am obsessed with shopping bazaars because that is where you can get unique treasures that no one else will have. The most famous one I have encountered is in Turkey, but a lot of North African bazaars such as the one in Morocco are also cited as great for treasures. So it's good to know that throughout India there are dozens are bazaars that can make your trip worthwhile. The next step if I am able to make it to any is to post pics of my finds. It is bound to be fantastic once you're able to get what you need. I do wonder sometimes if bringing so many packages home would create an issue with customs and inspections. But I haven't had a hard time on my last international trips though.

5. Jackie

Jackie Member

My dad gave me a great idea years ago when I was first considering an international trip. He suggested I mail all my souvenirs home as I buy them. Then I wouldn't have to worry with bringing so much back with me on the return trip home. I plan on doing this when I go to India later this year. Maybe this would help you, too. :)

6. Tabitha

Tabitha New Member

That is a great idea for small items Jackie. How expensive would it be to mail them home from India? Do you send them by courier or regular mail? I usually make room in my suitcases so I have space to carry them. You always have to make sure you don't go over baggage weight with what you bring back.

7. Jackie

Jackie Member

I'm not sure how expensive it would become to mail them home ahead of time. You could probably use regular mail for anything relatively inexpensive and save some money that way. I would buy insurance for anything of value, though.

8. Sharath S

Sharath S Member

I think this is a great idea and we plan on doing the same. I would really love to go shopping for spices, and Sandal Wood Oil. Do you have an idea on where I should go shop first? I also intend to buy some Peda, Banana chips and some shawls as I am told that they are good. We have made a lot of space in our bags and I think bringing home these items from India shouldn't be much of an issue. We are going there for a wedding, and we plan to continue the journey before we get back home.

9. paudu

paudu Member

Shopping is one of my main goals for my trip to India this spring! I know I want to buy jewelry and textiles. I will look at that website you mentioned. I want to start planning my shopping now!

10. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Despite not having been to India yet, I'm already planning out where I want to shop when I go!

I love local markets/bazaars - they are my number one choice whenever I visit a new country because I find that you can get more unique goods there. It's a lot more special to me than shopping in a big department store where I could be anywhere in the world...I like really being able to connect with the shop keepers, especially if it's something they have made themselves.

I particularly like getting unique jewelry, and homewares or ornaments that I can display from my travels.

11. paudu

paudu Member

That's absolutely what I like too - the uniqueness of items I can buy locally. That's why I want to make sure I'm shopping for things that are truly Indian, and better yet, specific to the regions I'll be visiting. That way there's less chance of running into the same items back home.

12. Nita

Nita New Member

I love this idea. You don't have to worry about carrying them around, packing them, or even declaring them on your return home. This can save a lot of problems and get you through customs a lot faster. Thanks for the great tip.