1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gujarat's Asiatic Lions: Tempts Me !

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Sar@, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Sar@

Sar@ New Member

Hey all so they say Asiatic lions are bigger in size than African ones and Gujarat is the host for Asiatic lions.
    I'm interested in paying a visit to those big cats, aren't you?

2. travelguide

travelguide Active Member

Asiatic lions are so majestic and terrifying, I must say. Then you might have heard of Gujarat's Gir Sanctuary too. It has more than 500 Asiatic lions and the population is growing rapidly. It was only 411 in 2010 which has grown to 523 in 2015, a growth of 112 in just five years!

Supreme Court of India has already ordered trans-location of these endangered animals from Gir Forest to another place in Madhya Pradesh. That would be beneficial for the lions too.

3. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

I visited Gujarat back in 2008 for holidays.. We made a plan to visit GIR but our driver told us that only liquor and Non-Veg food is available there, so we canceled our plan.

I was mad for Lions in those days, still remember how sad I was after that cancelation.

I would have visited GIR someday if vegetarian food was available.

Sent from my GT-S6102 using Tapatalk 2

4. travelguide

travelguide Active Member

Oh, that must be a very sad thing to happen for a person who is very passionate about lions. I hope you will make it in near future.

I heard that there is a lodge called Gir Birding Lodge which caters various types of Indian foods and is very close to the national park. It has six cottages and 14 well maintained rooms. They offer spicy Indian foods which will be a new experience to you. It's better to go for an advance booking if you plan to stay there as luxury rooms are always on high demand. For deluxe rooms they charge around $45 which also includes morning tea and breakfast.

BadBoy likes this.
  5. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

So that's good information.. More veg. Food joints should open there.

6. ChaiNashta

ChaiNashta Active Member

Gujrat has been a dry state for a long time now and to the best of my knowledge it was a dry state back in 2008 as well. You taxi driver lied to you for some reason. Sale of liquor is prohibited in the entire state of Gujrat.

I also find it hard to believe that there is no vegetarian restaurants there.

7. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

That's bad.. At that time we had no knowledge of the state but now whenever we make a Somnath trip I will go with after doing full research.