1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gulab Jamun

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by jnorth88, Mar 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

So, these were one of my favorites. But I don't know if khoya is a requirement to make them. Also, can anyone tell me what oils are best to make the saffron infusion?

If anyone knows much about this recipe, I would love to learn your secrets. I enjoy baking, and these are great party treats. I really want to share them with friends.

2. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

I love Gulab jamun myself but I have never made them at home and nor had anyone I know. Its something you just buy at a sweet shop and eat it. No matter where you live there has to be an Indian sweet shop within driving distance. My advise to you would be to just go and buy some. It takes a lot of practice to make good gulab jamuns.

3. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Sadly, I currently reside in Uruguay, and there are no Indian restaurants close to me. I have to pretty much cook every bit of food at home, since the local cuisine is very basic. It has some benefits. Homecooked food is so much better, and a lot of fun, especially for dinner parties. I think, if I can get a good recipe for this, it would be perfect for guests.

4. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

I just googled for a recipe and ingredients and I am blown away. I never tried this, of course, but I would like to try and make some. I see it is not easy to make it and I understand that it needs a bit of practice and patience actually. Making a milk solid pastry, and this is one I believe, is not simple. I believe that if I manage to do this, the frying and soaking in syrups will not be a big problem. If that is the basic procedure. It would be nice if someone have some advice on this. I really never, ever thought about using milk like this.

5. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Yes, exactly. I have looked at recipes online, and they are very basic. I would love to hear some more practical advice and technique. I think, as something new to try, it might be quite hard. Ultimately, when you know what you are doing, it is easy, but you have to get a feel for the ingredients and ratios.