1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hanle

Discussion in 'Jammu & Kashmir' started by Bipin, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Bipin

Bipin New Member

You may have read my previous posts and must know that I will soon be visiting Leh Ladakh. The places which I need to inquire about I have created threads for and another destination I would like to know about is Hanle.

When I am visiting Tso Moriri, I will also want to visit Hanle village, as I would like to experience the village life there and get to know some of the locals and hear about their lives. It is also a beautiful site with the famous Hanle Monastery which is something to see as well.

I would like to know the following:

How far is Hanle from Tso Moriri?

Are hotels or homestays available in Hanle?

Apart from the monastery there what else should be seen or visited in Hanle?

Should visiting Hanle be the last place to visit during my holiday as it would be towards the Manali highway back home?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello @Bipin and welcome to the forum!

Hanle is about 158.8 kms away from Tso Moriri. To reach it, you'd have to travel for four to five hours.

There are homestays in Hanle. The first one that I know of is the Padma Sonar Dorje Homestay. It has about four rooms with connecting bathrooms. There is also a big dining room in the guest house. The cost per night per bed is Rs 350.

The other one is located immediately as you enter the village. It has two rooms which can accommodate up to eight people. There's a bathroom with running water too. The beddings weren't as clean though. Charge is Rs 200 per night per bed.

You can also visit the Indian Astronomical Observatory, which is world's highest observatory. Then, maybe some leisure walks along the pasture lands of Hanle.

Yes, that's one option. Although you can also cover Tso Moriri after Hanle and depart to Leh from there.

I hope this helps!