1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have You Ever Considered Tripura As A Travel Destination?

Discussion in 'Tripura' started by moondebi, Sep 1, 2015.

1. moondebi

moondebi New Member

When you think to go to a hill station, you might never have given a thought to this state. If you ever wandered to find a place with eternal greenery, Tripura might never have come to your concept.

This is the third smallest state of India, and situated in the north eastern part of the country. Tripura is a rare combination of culture, heritage, nature, and tradition. The palace in the capital itself could be a massive attraction for the tourists, which is better than any such architectural excellence of the country.

Growing up in such a place and later coming down to big cities, now I could easily compare Tripura with any other worth travel destination of the country.

Chahal likes this.

2. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

The only reason I have never been to the North East is that it is not very well advertised and when it is time to go for a holiday North East does not even come to my mind. The only reason I can think of is there is not enough effort by the local government to give tourism a boost in that region.

I personally have absolutely no idea what so ever about Tripura but I do know a few people from Tripura from college and they are all lovely people.

What all is there to see in Tripura and the best time to go there?

3. moondebi

moondebi New Member

North East has never been promoted as a possible tourist destination, and my experience tells that many of the Indians are unaware of the seven states of that part of the country, even by name.

Being a hilly terrain of the extension of the Himalayas, most of the northeastern states are geographically backward, which is a major drawback for the tourists.

However, apart from the beautiful palace, there are many more places of historical importance in Tripura. The tea gardens, temples, water palace (Nir Mahal), museum, theme park, reserve forests are some of the spots, which can make the state a potential travel destination.

Though the greenery of the state is at its best during the rainy season, still it is not a recommended time to travel due to those obvious reasons. Other than that, any time is a good time.

Chahal likes this.
  4. WAMZ

WAMZ New Member

Tripura actually did cross my mind when I was in Bangladesh about two years ago, but I went over budget in the middle of my trip (blame it on my addiction of buying every little shiny thing) so I decided to pencil it in the next time I was around those parts.

I'm a huge fan of anthropology, and I was especially interested in visiting the Mata Tripureswari temple, which has great significance in Hindu. And of course, there is the stunning Ujjayanta Palace at Agartala that I've drooled over while going through travel guides.

I hear getting there can be a bit dicey though. I'm not quite sure if anything has changed in the last two years. And I'd appreciate if anyone has any tips on making my way there as easily as possible.

Chahal likes this.
  5. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Honestly, I hadn't even heard of this destination before reading about it in your post. I feel like that happens a lot of the time for foreign tourists - we know about a lot of the bigger, main attractions - but delving off that well travelled path can be intimidating, or we are just simply not aware of what is out there for us!

I really liked what you said about Tripura being a combination of culture, heritage, nature, and tradition. That's really the perfect combination of what I look for on vacations, and the fact that one destination really comprises it all is very interesting to me. I'll have to research more about it.

6. Gabydi

Gabydi Member

Oh, I’ve heard of Tripura! It’s close to Bangladesh I believe. If I’m correct, Tripura is a beautiful place with a lot of greenery and fresh air. But, I think that it is or it used to be a conflictive area. For what I’ve read the Bengalis are in conflict with other people there, but I’m not sure if this is still happening or even if it’s true.

I had totally forgotten about Tripura, but it would be a great destination.

7. travelguide

travelguide Active Member

Tripura definitely is a dream destination for nature lovers. Agartala in Tripura would be the first choice of any nature lovers. It is also a place of palaces, monuments, temples and handicrafts. Top attractions of Agartala include Chittangong Hills, Ujjayanta Palace, Neermahal Palace, Gondacherra Wild Life Sanctuary, Kalapania Nature Park, Haveli museaum etc. You can also find a lot of attractive places at Dharmanagar, Udaipur and Ambassa.

Tripura is surrounded by Bengladesh on almost all sides.

8. RajaApull

RajaApull New Member

The only aim I have never been to the North East is that it is not very well promoted and when it is time to go for a break North East does not even come to my attention. The only cause I can think of is there is not enough effort by the local administration to give tourism a gumboot in that area.

I for myself have unconditionally no idea what so ever about Tripura but I do know a few people form Tripura from college and they are all beautiful persons.

9. AanchalSingh

AanchalSingh New Member

Yes, you can. The best thing about Tripura is that, you will never find a rush anytime at Tripura.

Few places which I have visited:
    1. Tripura Wildlife Sanctuary
    2. Tripura Government Museum
    3. Bhuvaneswari Temple
    4.Umamaheshwar temple
    5. Jagannath temple
    6. Venuban Vihar
    7. Buddha Mandir

10. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello there!

Unfortunately, Tripura is one of the lesser explored states in India. It's such a shame because it has so much more to offer. Like you said, it has beautiful landscapes, dense forests and rich wildlife. When it comes to its structures, you won't find them lacking as well. Here's a list of all the cities comprising Tripura:

1. Agartala. This is the capital of Tripura. Unlike other capitals, you won't find Agartala as busy or as noisy. In fact, that's what sets it apart from other capitals, it's serene and quite laid-back. Some attractions here are:
    • Ujjayanta Palace - This was the former residence of the Manikya Dynasty's royal family. It was Maharaja Radhakishore Manikya who built this palace. Now though, the Ujjayanta Palace is the legislative assembly of the city.
    • Neer Mahal - This was built by Maharaja Bir Bikram Kishore Debbarman. The name Neer Mahal means "Water Palace," as it is located in the centre of the Rudrasagar Lake.
    • Kunjaban Palace - This was built by Maharaja Birendra Kishore Manikya. It was supposed to be a summer residence. Nowadays, the Governor of Tripura resides on one part of the palace.
    • Tripura Government Museum - You can find artefacts in archeology, ancient sculptures, paintings and even items from tribes here.
    2. Kumarghat. This city has a thriving pineapple industry. Some attractions here are:
    • Venuban Vihar - It was Magadha King Bimbisar who built this monastery for Buddha to reside in. Now, there's a Deer Park and a Zoo here that kids can enjoy.
    • Kamala Sagar - This was discovered by Maharaja Dhanya Manikya Bahadur in the late 15th Century. It's a popular place for having a picnic.
    3. Deotamura. This is about 75 kms from Agartala and you can find it near the Gomati River. There's not much to see here except for one interesting attraction:
    • Chabimura's Rock Cut Sculptures - You can find this just beside the Gomati River. Here, you'll find sculptures of Shiva, Ganesh, Vishnu, Kartikeya, Mahishasur Mardini Durga and other gods/goddesses. There's about 37 rock cut sculptures that you can explore in here.
    4. Pilak. You'll find many archeological remains in this ancient city. It's a must to visit this place especially for the history lovers. Some attractions here are:
    • The Buddhist and Hinduism Antiquities - You can find plaques and sculptures of Hindu Gods here. You can also find Buddhist stupas and sculptures in the site.
    5. Unakoti. This is a Shaiva pilgrimage site. There's about 999,999 idols of Lord Shiva in here. Aside from this, another attraction here is the:
    • Rowa Wildlife Sanctuary - Although this is just a small sanctuary, you can find many medicinal plants and herbs here. There's various species of animals and birds in here too.
    6. Udaipur. Tripura has its own Udaipur with plenty of natural sceneries to see as well as historical ones. Some of them are:
    • Tripura Sundari Temple - This was built by Maharaja Dhanya Manikya Debbarma. It is one of the 51 Shakti Peethas as well.
    • Sepahijala Sanctuary - The rare spectacled monkey can be found here. You can opt to stay for the night in the bungalow in the sanctuary.
    7. Jampui Hill. This is the highest hill station in the state at about 3,000 feet above sea level. Some attractions here are:
    • Betlingchhip Peak - For the trekkers, it's a must to hike this peak. Amidst the top, you'll see panoramic views of the various hill ranges of the state.
    • Chittagong Hill Tracts - Another trekking adventure for thrill-seekers.
    8. Dumboor. The main attraction is the Dumboor Lake. As per the name, this lake is shaped like Lord Shiva's drum which is called a Dumboor. You can:
    • Explore the 48 islands of Dumboor and spot the various migratory birds in the region.
    Tripura is best visited in the months of October to March. The weather would be pleasant by then and you can do lots of sightseeing. But the best part about travelling to Tripura is you get to see the lives of the villagers and tribes here.

I hope this can help someone!

11. Dybbuk Jones

Dybbuk Jones New Member

I haven't considered Tripura as a destination before, but now that I read this tread, I definitely want to go. It seems like one of the most elegant places possible to visit in Indian and I really like the fact that most of the attractions are just promotions for tranquility.