1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heart Breaking Truth About Beloved Rajma Rice

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Ankisha, Dec 19, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Ankisha

Ankisha New Member

Our love for delicious Indian cuisines is not hidden from anyone. They are an integral part of our daily lives. But, you may be shocked to know that our "all time favorite" Rajma is not of Indian origin! Yes, it's true. Originally, Rajma is from Mexico. It is a staple Mexican diet.
    But, nothing can eliminate our love for this delicious food. Our love for Rajma-Rice can never be diminished. Isn't that true??

2. Benti

Benti New Member

You will find this a lot, actually, if you check food labels. Many things that are even named 'traditional' will generally come from somewhere else. I remember when I worked in a German shoe factory, my job was to place an insert inside of the shoes that said, "Made In Italy". It was only that piece that was made in Italy, but of course, you would not think that any of it came from Germany.

3. Sammie

Sammie Member

It's amazing how some foods are adopted from other countries and we don't realize it. If you like the Rajma-Rice it should bother you that it comes from somewhere else, just enjoy it!

4. Indyra

Indyra Member

The only way to get 'authentic' food is to eat it in the country where it originates. All of the other countries adapt their own versions of the dish. I love it when I cook something that I believe is a certain native dish, and someone else tells me I am making it wrong. I am pretty sure we are both making it 'wrong'.

5. Amelie

Amelie New Member

You're right, we shouldn't let the origin of the food take away our enjoyment of it. The best thing about living in this crazy world of ours is we all have different ways of doing things, and most of the time our experiences can be enhanced by adapting something from another culture and tweaking it to suit our tastes. As long as we are respectful of our differences and mindful of the boundaries that must not be crossed, I don't see anything wrong with making some changes.

6. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

I love kidney beans and rice(cooked separately or cooked as one dish). Recently, I read an article where the writer claimed that many food items that are very popular in India and are thought to be Indian dish are not from India actually. The article said that food items such as samosa, rashbari, gulab jamun are not of Indian origin.

7. Indyra

Indyra Member

I would never have thought that kidney beans are native to India, and I still don't believe they are. However, once something is has been introduced to a country, they will generally come up with a dish that makes it their own.

8. Teheura

Teheura New Member

I spent a few years working in Mexico. Rice and kidney beans is a food you'll see on the table daily. In many home they mix the rice and beans together and serve this for breakfast. Many food that is left over after the evening meals ends up on the table in the morning. There are some families that can't afford to buy more than rice and beans. That's why you find they cook these and serve them mixed together. I've noticed that food travels around the world as a person visits another country or a person migrates to a new country. This is very common today. I don't think that anyone should worry about this. If you love the traditional foods, or what you thought were traditional, then keep eating them.

9. hellotraveler

hellotraveler Member

This is interesting. It makes me wonder if turmeric spice is also native to India, or if it may have come from somewhere else? I still love it just the same, but now you have me wondering lol

10. deewanna

deewanna New Member

You could also be more shocked that rajma might not have actually originated from mexico. Maybe it was also adopted by mexicans. That is the thing about food and some traditions. We can't really say where it actually originated from. It just keeps evolving and gets picked up by different tribes who redefine it and make it their own.

11. Nita

Nita New Member

Personally I don't think this is heart breaking news. I think it is wonderful. You now know that food travels around the world. Just look at it like this. Hundreds of years ago a lonesome travel from Mexico found his way to India. He was hungry, poor, and didn't have anywhere to stay. During this time he found enough money to make his rice and bean dish. One of the local countrymen saw this poor travel and offered him a room. This traveler shared his recipe from his homeland. After trying this dish the kind countryman shared it with his friends. This is how your favorite rice dish came to India.

12. swalia

swalia Guest

Rajma-rice is my favourite dish. But I never knew that rajma is of Mexican origin. In any case, it doesn't make any difference and I bet, the Mexicans don't cook rajma the way we do.

13. Now that is surely news to me!! I thought it was of either Rajasthani or Gujarati origin. I am surprised it is the staple diet of Mexico of all places since I generally thought that Mexican food was more spicy, while Rajma is pretty bland.

14. Seraphina

Seraphina New Member

I love rajma regardless of where it originated, but I'm curious to know where samosas started. I've been making them for years at home and I always thought they were Indian.

15. xTinx

xTinx Member

Well it's not heartbreaking at all. Just think of it as some sort of "cultural exchange." And because you love rajma, should you visit Mexico in the future, you would feel at home in that country. Perhaps you'll love their other dishes too since they heavily remind you of Indian cuisine.

16. tabby

tabby Member

This is pretty interesting! I now have something to add in the list of common misconception about food origins. This post makes me recall about an article I read before about common misconception about food origins. One that comes to mind is of French Fries. Contrary to what most believe, this snack delight didn't originate from France, nor in America. According to that article, the French Fries was originally invented by Belgians. There was also a mention of Chimichanga, commonly known to be of Mexican origin. But turns out to originate from Arizona. Call it even?