1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Herbal Teas

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Aurora, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Aurora

Aurora New Member

Will I be allowed to bring my own herbal medicine and herbal teas with me when traveling to India? Will I have a problem at customs?

2. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

As long as you don't have things in big quantity (for example, your herbal tea does not weigh 10 kg), or is for your personal use (for instance a camera to take pictures), there will not bee any problem in customs.

3. Kyle

Kyle New Member

I don't see why you can't take your herbal teas and supplements with you. It is only if you have too much that the customs may get suspicious.

4. Polaroid

Polaroid New Member

Be open about carrying any items that you consume lest it be taken as some sort of illegal drugs. Herbal teas are very common because many people like them and carry their own brands. I don't see any problem with you carrying them.

5. violet

violet New Member

I hadn't though of the illegal drug aspect of that since it's herbal tea but I guess they might be suspicious if it's not packaged in it's container. Do you take the herbal medicines every day? If not, I would leave it at home.

6. xTinx

xTinx Member

I have to agree with everyone here. If you bring a reasonable amount of herbal teas and supplements, then there's no reason for India's customs officers to get suspicious of you. Everyone needs to take care of their health wherever they intend to go. It's your right. Just don't bring more teas than necessary.

7. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

As long as it is packaged like a commercial product, you should be fine. Loose leaf in a baggy might raise some suspicion, but if it is in small quantities should pass through customs without much trouble. I recommend looking at sites that show how best to pack your bags, since there are methods to avoid being called out for close inspection.

8. knitmehere

knitmehere Member

It really just depends on what exactly the contents are. It'd be wise to contact the airport and such before hand to save yourself any pain.

9. Geena

Geena New Member

I don't think you'll have any problems at the customs at all. If you do feel, however, that the couple of boxes you're planning on bringing are far too much, it's best if the package is opened and not sealed. This way, they'll know for sure that you're not planning on selling them.

Good luck!

10. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Also, don't forget that India is a source for tea. They should be able to supply you with a great assortment of wonderful teas. Whenever I am in Asia, I pick up loads of looseleaf teas, since they are super fresh and super cheap. One variety I got from Myanmar was incredible. It brewed as black as coffee, and kept you awake for a day and a half.

11. ellajanelle

ellajanelle New Member

I think there's really no problem with bringing herbal teas and supplements with you.

I didn't know India was a source for tea. I only heard about other Asian countries like China especially. Thanks for the information, jnorth88! :) I just love drinking tea, especially after a long stressful day. It soothes me before going to bed and finally relaxing.

12. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

I feel like I already wrote about this. I really like tea and herbal tea especially. Somebody mentioned that India is a source for tea and I wonder if you have there some herbs that I like. Herbs like Lemon Balm ( Melissa Officinalis) and thyme are just a complete blessing for me and my body. I think that everybody has these but it is nice to check anyway.

13. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Yes, India has some very good teas, and some very good tea culture. After all, they are the ones which introduced tea to the English. Many farms grow tea, all the way up to Bhutan. In fact, it is a great crop to grow because it earns a lot and is proof against many types of insects, so it can be grown without pesticides and fertilizers. But beware. Fresh teas are super potent. A cup will have you going all day.

14. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

I don't see why they would prevent you to bring your teabags. The media, TV shows and movies included, have made airport security sound like monsters. They are really nice people if you are nice to them back, and have your forms and items in order before you come to them. If you don't look suspicious, and you're not wasting anyone's time at the airport checks, you would go through security like a breeze.