1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hindi, English, And Paying For Souvenirs.

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Leaving the Heartland, Apr 29, 2016.

1. After Hindi what would be the next language or dialect to learn before traveling to India? My travel itinerary would be all too well known tourist hot spots and nothing to off the beaten path. I have read that English is well known in India, but would that be enough to get me through shopping, restaurants, and museums. Other countries I have traveled to I have had to really research currency and master conversion. Is there anything other than language that I need to pin down?

2. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Honestly, it depends most on where you want to visit. These other languages are specific to areas, because India is not really a single, solid country, but a collection of different ethnic groups with their own culture and traditions. Your best bet would be to learn what is spoken where you want to go. As far as that, after Hindi, English is probably your best bet.

3. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I'd also say that you'd find english is widely spoken in a lot of the big cities in India, so while it's polite to try and learn the local language of a country or specific area, its not entirely necessary to be fluent as if you know English then you can always fall back on that and be understood.

4. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

I'm sure if you visit the places that cater to tourists, English is the only language you need. You mentioned not going to the off-beaten path, so you probably won't go to remote areas or local pubs then? Then you probably won't need to learn anything other than English, since you will be "acting" like a tourist all through out your trip. You can always try learning the language of the local area though, as the locals find it adorable if you try their language, and they'd love you more for it.

pwarbi likes this.
  5. I haven't narrowed down a particular place of travel. I want to hit all the tourist hot spots then try to find a small town where farming is big. Reading that collective village farming to barter and sell in markets is normal I want to see this up close. I come from a state where farming is huge and the amount of land harvested is huge. Once I narrow down the town i will attempt to learn key phrases. Thank you all for your comments.

6. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

As you say, if a person is intent on sticking to the tourist areas, then English probably is the only language you will need. I still think though that a person should at least try to learn a bit of the language, and if not before you go, its always fun to ask the locals how your say a particular thing while your there.

7. To learn Hindi what would be the best avenue? I know there are websites, dvd/cd companies, and books. I am a hands on learner and need day to day relevant things. Are there products I should use in conjunction with each other?