1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitchhiking?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chit Chat' started by amelia88, Oct 9, 2015.

1. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I've never done it and I have no intentions to - but I do know a few people that have. Now, coming to think of it, they've all been guys - I do think it's a little more dangerous as a woman to do something like hitchhiking.

I know maybe I am overly paranoid but I just wouldn't want to take the risk of hopping into a vehicle with someone I didn't know - nor would I want to wait on a roadside just hoping someone would pick me up!

What are your thoughts on it?

2. Tanmaya

Tanmaya Member

I would completely rule out that option for a female.

3. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Hitchhiking is something that I'd not recommend doing either to be honest as there's always going to be an element of risk involved, especially for a female traveller.

I've known people in the past that have done it but only when they've had to in an emergency but that's been an exceptional circumstance.

4. GammaRay

GammaRay Member

I'll only ever hitchhike when the country or city I'm in has a low crime rate, I'm with someone else or if I have no other option and the next town is hundreds of kilometers away. It's good advice to be safe about your transportation definitely and you shouldn't be cheap about it if you want to be secure. Some people just don't have the option of riding a cab or bus that's why they hitchhike, it's risky to say the least.