1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Do I Choose A Beach Hotel?

Discussion in 'Hotels' started by Igor, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Igor

Igor New Member

I intend to visit Goa to relax and enjoy the beaches there. When I looked online I saw a number of beach hotels but could not decide which one to stay in. What are some factors to consider while choosing a good beach hotel?

2. Dina

Dina New Member

Well to start with it should have a good beach area that is not open to the public. Also, the rooms should be good and clean as well. I hate staying in a beach hotel where the food is not good so that is an important factor.

3. Rita P

Rita P New Member

I hate it when I have to walk a mile or more to get to a beach from a hotel. Make sure that the beach is in the hotel premises and not a long distance away, so that you don't have to walk that far in your swimsuit.

4. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Honestly these days when it comes to booking hotels I usually just refer to trip advisor. It's such a great resource to be able to read people's reviews and also see real life pictures of the hotels - that way there are no nasty surprises!

5. xTinx

xTinx Member

First of all, read online reviews and see what other tourists have to say about the hotel/s you intend to stay. Next check for cleanliness, customer service, food quality, ambiance, affordability (but you may disregard if this isn't a prime consideration of yours) and convenience of access to the beach.

6. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello, @Igor! Welcome to the forum!

I'd have to agree with you, with so many options out there, it's hard to choose which is the best resort or hotel for you. But in order to fully enjoy your vacation, choosing a resort that is in line with your interests and likes is a must. First of all, determine your goals for that vacation. Since you're going in Goa, what do you intend to do most of the time? Goa itself has a lot of varieties and options for a traveller. For instance:
    • Are you the type of person who enjoys parties? Then you must consider beach hotels that are nearer to the clubs and bars.
    • Are you the type of person who enjoys sightseeing? Then you must consider hotels within tourist attractions.
    • Do you like shopping? Then, you have to consider resorts that are nearby markets and bazaars.
    • Is your main goal for the trip to just enjoy the water? Then you can opt for secluded beaches in Goa.
    • Would you rather do some water sports? Some beaches in Goa have more options for water sports than other beaches.

Once you have determined your main goal, you can then consider these other factors in choosing a beach hotel or beach resort:
    • Distance of the beach resort or hotel to your main goal - Whatever your main goal is, be it swimming or partying, it has to be a walking distance from the resort. Especially so if you don't have your own vehicle for transportation. It will save you a lot of time and effort if you choose a beach resort within walking distance to the activities you're mostly going to do.
    • Distance of the beach resort to commercial areas - Most of the time, you'd want to explore restaurants and markets in your destination. It's better to choose a beach resort nearer to these locations. However, if you'd like to be away from the hustle and bustle of the city, then you might want to consider choosing a beach resort away from the commercial areas.
    • Your budget for the trip - Include your resort's tariff to your budget. Most of the time, the higher end the resort, the more you'd have to pay. In Goa though, you won't have to worry as they have quite a number of backpacker hotels and lodges available. Don't forget to add in your budget for food and sightseeing activities.
    • Hotel's reputation - Consider going into forums, like this one, or review sites, so you can know just how reliable that hotel is. Reputation is an important factor to consider as just by going online, you'd be able to see if these resorts or hotels are worth it.
    • What services does the hotel have - This is an important part of the equation. Does the hotel provide transport services for the guests? Do they provide 24 hours room service? Do they have laundry services? The main way to find out is by going to their website and seeing what kinds of services they have. Or you can directly contact them and ask them about it.
    • Cleanliness and hygiene - No matter how simple or basic the amenities are, I'm fine with it as long as the hotel has a good cleanliness standard. And I think, for most people, this is also their outlook. So search online for reviews about the hotel or look for word of mouths so you'd know what the hotel's standard of cleanliness is.
    • Packages that they offer - Sometimes, you can save some money by availing of a hotel's package. This means that a breakfast meal might be included or maybe even some sightseeing tours. So always check their packages section of the website and see what they have in store for guests.
    • Amenities - Are you the type of person that cannot live without WiFi? Then, you must consider this factor in a hotel. Always ask if they have free WiFi in rooms or in public areas. Or if not, what are the fees for it. Also, make sure to ask what mobile services work in their vicinity. If you're someone who is severely allergic to meals, then consider getting a room with a kitchenette so you can prepare your own meals. So think about what amenities you would want in a hotel and make sure that they have them before booking a room.
    • Hotel policies - Some hotels have stricter policies than others. So make sure you read their policies before proceeding to book a room.

Good luck!

7. MissT

MissT New Member

For me the number one factor that I would consider is the distance from the hotel to the beach. Is it walking distance? I would probably go for the one that is nearest to the beach. Luxury is also important to me, so I would choose the best one that is nearest the beach.