1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Expensive Is India?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by KenBrace, Aug 31, 2015.

Tags:
  1. KenBrace

KenBrace New Member

I know that in certain parts of the world the US dollar has a lot more purchasing power than it does here in the states.

I know this to be the case in Indonesia so I'm wondering if it applies to India as well.

How do prices in India compare to prices here in the US?

How much does the average hotel cost?

What about restaurant meals?

2. moondebi

moondebi New Member

If you are coming from the States to India with US dollars, you will find yourself a rich person on conversion of your currency.

Currently, one US dollar will give you almost sixty seven rupees, which is not a very small amount here.

The average cost of a hotel varies from city to city, so do the meals.

However, someone from the USA may find India a bit costly, as the basic cost of living here is higher as compared to the States.

KenBrace likes this.

3. Sramana

Sramana Member

It also depends in where you are travelling within India, and what your requirements are. Staying in a five star hotel in Agra is going to end up way more expensive (on par with staying at a Four Seasons in the US, for example, or even costlier) than if you decide to stay in a three star hotel in Aurangabad. But yes, generally, if you are okay with decent food/stay options, it does end up being quite inexpensive.

KenBrace likes this.
  4. KenBrace

KenBrace New Member

How much spending power does 67 rupees have?

Any examples of what you could buy with that amount of money?

moondebi likes this.
  5. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

you can fill ur stomach fully in 67rs.

you can get urself a daily DTC bus pass of 50rs and travel the entire city and drink NimboSoda for 10rs.

you can jump a traffic light and pay ur fine of rs50 to those Trafficpolice guys hiding behind the trees..

If u can fill ur stomach fully with 1Dollar thn jst think how powerfull it is..

Sent from my GT-S6102 using Tapatalk 2

Sramana and Alexandoy like this.
  6. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

That 67 rs is just about 50 pesos in our money and that's a cheap cost for a meal. I think I would enjoy India even just for that, waheehee. But seriously though, what I really want to learn is how to eat Indian food. In my first trip to Singapore in 2012, a Pakistani colleague (in the seminar that we attended) brought me into an Indian restaurant. I ordered chicken briyani which tasted okay but I was only able to finish half. Is there something wrong, asked my friend. No, nothing's wrong. It's just maybe I don't know how to eat briyani properly.

7. moondebi

moondebi New Member

@BadBoy
    has given you an idea of what and all you can do with a dollar in India.

Jokes apart… the spending power of Rs.67 again depends on your standard of living. A common man can live a day with that amount, while a bottle of water may cost more for a not so common person here.

The average cost of food is not that high unless it comes from a premium category kitchen, and it holds good for the lodging too.

However, the prices may not be applicable in the tourist spots where things are hyped like any other noted travel destinations of the world.

BadBoy likes this.
  8. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

@moondebi i would consider urs as a much better description regarding 67rs..;);):)

Sent from my GT-S6102 using Tapatalk 2

9. Selvie

Selvie New Member

Currently every one South African rand gets five rupees. I heard from friends who have been to India that you can buy almost anything (especially jeans) at a much lower price in India than here in South Africa.

Many people here buy in India to sell here in South Africa but customs adds their charges and brings up the prices.

I think personally the first trip or two might cost more, but once you get to know the people and places you will know where to shop and where to stay to save money. Shop where the locals shop.

10. RajaApull

RajaApull New Member

It is not that expensive. If you exchange your US dollar for the Rupee, you will have a lot of wealth on you.

I know there's people that travel to India and exchange and sell their currency there, not sure how legit it is, but it can make some cash. You can travel to India though, it's a poor country. Nothing expensive about it.