1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Feasible Is It To Backpack Through India, Specifically Mumbai?

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by OursIsTheFury, May 8, 2016.

1. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

How are the streets of India at night? Do you think a lone wanderer will find any sort of trouble while roaming the streets of Mumbai, even during the day? Any tourists here who can share their experiences with traveling through India, and was it an enjoyable experience for you? Any tips you can give to make my trip a lot more enjoyable?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Mumbai is definitely a place of contrasts... There's the rich and poor people. There's the old and new buildings. There's new traditions and ancient traditions. There's the conservative and the liberated. I think it's one of the best places to visit to fully understand a modern day and an older version of India, all at the same time.

How are the streets of India at night?

• I think it's generally safe as long as you're in a public place with many people. Of course, you need to be very observant as you're a foreigner and you are the target of pickpockets and scammers. But if you stay low profile, avoid flashing your gadgets or other valuables, you will do fine. I know that there are night clubs and bars in Mumbai so the streets won't be that empty as well. However, if it's a woman, better have a companion or not travel alone at night.
    Do you think a lone wanderer will find any sort of trouble while roaming the streets of Mumbai, even during the day?
    • I don't think so... Mumbai is one of the biggest and most developed part of India. Walking alone during day time is fine, just be prepared to be marketed by sales people with different products.
    Any tourists here who can share their experiences with traveling through India, and was it an enjoyable experience for you?
    • Yes, India is a very enjoyable place to travel to. It's a melting pot of culture and tradition, not to mention delicious dishes and overall friendly people. If you experience travelling in public transport, then it's worth the hassle because it's part of the adventure of travelling in India. You have to learn how to haggle, because hey, it's acceptable there.
    Any tips you can give to make my trip a lot more enjoyable?
    • I suggest going into smaller villages... They're the most enjoyable places in India. You get to experience life as simple as it can be. You get to see amazing views and sceneries. You will be at one with nature. And for me, that's the best part of any trip.
    • Be prepared to be squished in public transport. I'm used to it since I'm from a country with the same conditions. However if you're from a Western country, then you might be surprised with the no personal space thing.
    • Dress conservatively. It can make you blend in as much as possible.
    • Just take it one step at a time... India is very vast and there's lots to explore. One place at a time and you'll understand why backpackers choose this destination and keep coming back to it.
    I hope this helps!

Admin likes this.