1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How grand is the celebration of Diwali?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chit Chat' started by Alexandoy, May 6, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

Pardon my ignorance for this thread. I have been in Singapore last year when the Diwali was celebrated. According to the Indian taxi driver, the festival of lights is one happy occasion for Indians that can be likened to Christmas. Unfortunately, we were so tired from the trip that after dinner, my wife and I involuntarily fell asleep so we failed to see what festivities were there that night. Do you give money and other things as gifts to your relatives and friends? And what exactly is the festival of lights?

2. pravish

pravish Member

Diwali is one of the most important festival of the year in Hindu religion. As you rightly said it is the festival of lights. Just before Diwali, people clean their houses and throw away unwanted things lying in the house and workplace. They prepare snacks and sweets at home for this festive season which is later distributed to all the relatives by visiting their house. People buy new clothes for themselves when the Diwali sale is at its best. Usually Indian employers pay their employees a bonus which is 2 times their normal salary during the month of Diwali. This festival of light goes on for 5 the days and the most important day is the day of the moonless night. People light dyes which are lanterns and candles on the rooftops and outside their houses signifying the victory of light over darkness, good over bad and so on. On this moonless night there is a prayer to Goddess Laxmi (The Goddess of Wealth). Gold, silver and cash is put near the Godess and the prayer is performed. Kids then go on to play with firecrackers and there are fireworks at a few big places. This is the festival of Diwali in brief.