1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How hot is Tamil Nadu during June and July?

Discussion in 'South India' started by MonikaGulati, Jun 9, 2015.

1. MonikaGulati

MonikaGulati New Member

I need to go to Tamil Nadu in either June or July for a function, but keep changing my mind about it because of the hot weather. How hot will Tamil Nadu be in the months of June and July as compared to the heat in Delhi. I will be taking my two young children there as well which is why the weather is something I am concerned about.

2. BumikH76

BumikH76 New Member

Tamil Nadu is a large state where exactly in Tamil Nadu will you be going?

3. Prits

Prits Member

I dont know about the exact locations in Tamil Nadu, but as a whole the state is very hot at the moment, it is most probably more hotter than Delhi.

4. Lalit

Lalit New Member

Hot weather in Tamil Nadu begins from early April and June/July months are boiling hot (that is if monsoons have not started), when going to temples and when you put your feet on the floor they will literally burn, that's how hot it is. If monsoons have started then the weather will not be striking hot but will be humid and sticky.

5. TravelCheap3

TravelCheap3 Member

From my knowledge, I would say that it would be very hot and humid. Be prepared if you're not used to that type of weather! Enjoy your trip. Cheers.

6. jetfleet

jetfleet New Member

During June and July climate in tamil nadu will not be too hot.

7. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

I have been to Tamil Nadu during June. It was terribly hot. I had never experienced such a torrid weather previously. It was so hot that I could see the asphalt on the street melting. The temperature was around 48 degree Celsius.

8. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello there! Welcome to the forum!

Tamil Nadu is generally a region with tropical climate all-year round. Most of the areas in Tamil Nadu fall under the tropical savanna climate. A smaller part of the region falls under the subtropical humid climate. There isn't much variation in the temperature during the year. But there are three seasons in the region.

The first one is the summer season from the months of March to June. Temperatures range between 25°C to 45°C. The hottest month is usually May and temperatures can exceed 40°C during this month. It's not the best season to visit Tamil Nadu as it can get uncomfortable especially if you're not used to the heat. The hot winds from the plains also blow this way during the months of April and May which adds to the heat factor. If you'd still like to visit Tamil Nadu during this season, opt for higher lying areas like Ooty, Kodaikanal, Yelagiri Hills and Yercaud.

From the months of July to December, these are the monsoon months of the region. It's actually divided into two parts: the Southwest monsoon from July to September and the Northeast monsoon, from October to December. The state is highly dependent on the monsoon season for its water supply. Temperatures range between 25°C to 30°C during this time. Although it rains, the climate is still humid. It's also not a good time to visit the region, unless you're going to the higher areas.

The last season is the winter, which are the months of December to February. This is the best time to visit Tamil Nadu as the weather and climate is pleasant for sightseeing, especially the numerous temples in the region. Temperatures range between 10°C to 15°C. Temperatures are lowest during the month of January. Also, the harvest festival called Pongal is celebrated during this time. Bring your light jackets and other winter paraphernalia during this time. But if you come from a colder region, the cold during this time won't bother you.

I hope this helps.:)

P.S.

I'd say that the heat in Delhi and Tamil Nadu can be comparable. But Delhi temperatures during the summers can exceed 45°C, so it's a bit hotter during June. Also, July is definitely humid and hot in Delhi, despite the arrival of the monsoon season.