1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Long Can I Stay?

Discussion in 'Visa and Passport' started by Barty, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Barty

Barty New Member

I was just wondering - how long can one stay on just a 'normal' visit? I am not going to India to work or be a student. I would like to visit a friend for an extended period of time. In most other countries, you are allowed to stay for up to 3 months. Is that also the case for India?

2. artyarson

artyarson New Member

3. Jani

Jani New Member

That's actually quite generous! I have travelled to Germany recently, and you are only allowed to stay up to 3 months within a 6 month period.

4. LydiaJJ

LydiaJJ New Member

So Americans can get a 10 year visa but still only stay for six months maximum each visit? I'm not sure I understand how that works. Why wouldn't ten years actually mean ten years?

5. Aja

Aja Member

That's a very good question. I think they do that because it would be irritating to have to get a new visa every
    time you want to travel, so they give you 10 years off the bat. But you can only stay for a limited time each visit.

6. MelanieTherese

MelanieTherese New Member

I'm also an American interested in an extended stay. This information isnteresting, but confusing as well. I wonder about the requirements for a longer visa period. Just paperwork, a fee, proof of funds?

I'm also wondering about the logistics of resetting your six months - how long do you have to stay outside India before re-entering?

Cheers,
    Melanie

7. TravelCheap3

TravelCheap3 Member

I believe you can stay for a max of 6 months then revisit the country.

8. pravish

pravish Member

Every country has their own immigration rules and this particular rule the one which most of the countries around the world follow. They grant a 5 or 10 year visa but one has to leave the country before he completes 3 months. He/ she doesnot have any restriction about re-entering the country with in the validity of the visa. Same rule does apply for the Indians visiting the United States with a visit(B1/B2) visa. They convenience of such type of visa is that it is multiple entry visa and you donot have to keep reapplying if you plan to visit a certain country over and over again.