1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Long Can I Stay?

Discussion in 'Visa and Passport' started by Barty, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Barty

Barty New Member

I was just wondering - how long can one stay on just a 'normal' visit? I am not going to India to work or be a student. I would like to visit a friend for an extended period of time. In most other countries, you are allowed to stay for up to 3 months. Is that also the case for India?
  2. artyarson

artyarson New Member

3. Jani

Jani New Member

That's actually quite generous! I have travelled to Germany recently, and you are only allowed to stay up to 3 months within a 6 month period.
  4. LydiaJJ

LydiaJJ New Member

So Americans can get a 10 year visa but still only stay for six months maximum each visit? I'm not sure I understand how that works. Why wouldn't ten years actually mean ten years?
  5. Aja

Aja Member

That's a very good question. I think they do that because it would be irritating to have to get a new visa every
    time you want to travel, so they give you 10 years off the bat. But you can only stay for a limited time each visit.
  6. MelanieTherese

MelanieTherese New Member

I'm also an American interested in an extended stay. This information isnteresting, but confusing as well. I wonder about the requirements for a longer visa period. Just paperwork, a fee, proof of funds?

I'm also wondering about the logistics of resetting your six months - how long do you have to stay outside India before re-entering?

7. TravelCheap3

TravelCheap3 Member

I believe you can stay for a max of 6 months then revisit the country.