1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Much Electronics Can I Bring To India Duty-free?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Aditya Rana, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Aditya Rana

Aditya Rana New Member

Hello,

I have been visiting India travel forum for the last few weeks and find it very useful in planning my upcoming holidays. I have a few questions so I registered today and hope to get some answers from experienced members here on this forum.

I live in USA and plan to go for a holiday to India which is also my native place. I am planning to take two laptops, two IPads, two iPhones and about 10 kilos of whey protein, some creatine powder, omega 3 soft gels with me on my trip to India. I would like to know if I would need to pay customs duty at New Delhi airport or is this much valuables/electronics allowed. Phones,iPods and laptops are gifts that I want to bring in for friends and family, whey protein is for myself as I train with weights and plan to continue while I am in India as well.

Thanks
    Aditya Rana

2. Karan

Karan Member

Anything for personal use is allowed, so you would be allowed one laptop and a maximum of two phones. Everyone these days has two phones so it would not be questionable.

Anything more than this you would have to pay duty on. If you can take a risk, what I can suggest is putting the other laptop and two iPads in your luggage securely packed. The same goes for the extra iPhone you have left, I would also make sure that it is unboxed, otherwise, it would seem like you are bringing it to India to sell it.

The whey protein, creatine powder, and Omega 3 gels are fine, and you would not be charged duty on these.

3. Shiv

Shiv Member

Hello Aditya,

I'm glad to hear that you find the India travel forum helpful for planning your trip. I can provide you with some information regarding customs duty for items you plan to bring to India:

1. Personal Electronics (Laptops, iPads, iPhones): You are generally allowed to bring personal electronics for personal use without paying customs duty. However, you may be asked to declare them at customs. It's a good practice to keep the receipts or invoices of these items to prove that they are for personal use.

2. Whey Protein, Creatine, Omega 3 Soft Gels: India has specific regulations regarding the import of dietary supplements and vitamins. You are allowed to bring a reasonable quantity of these items for personal use. The definition of "reasonable quantity" can vary, but typically a few months' supply is considered acceptable. It's recommended to carry these in their original packaging and with valid labels to show they are for personal use.

3. Gifts (Phones, iPods, Laptops): You can bring in gifts for friends and family, but there are customs regulations and duty-free allowances for gifts. As of my last knowledge update in September 2021, there was an allowance for gifts worth up to a certain value without paying duty. You may want to check the latest customs regulations and duty-free allowances with the Indian Customs authorities or the airline you are flying with.
    It's essential to declare all items accurately to the customs authorities at the New Delhi airport and follow their guidelines. Regulations can change, and it's advisable to check with the Indian Customs Department or the U.S. embassy or consulate for the most up-to-date information regarding customs rules and allowances. Also, keep in mind that you should not bring any items that are banned or restricted in India. Safe travels and enjoy your holiday!