1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Apply For Lost Passport?

Discussion in 'Visa and Passport' started by Anjali Bhola, Jan 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Anjali Bhola

Anjali Bhola New Member

I have lost my passport, in the process of redecorating my home and I need to apply for another one. I would like some help in knowing how I can apply for a lost passport?

What procedures do I need to follow and how long will it take?

2. Dhruv

Dhruv Member

You first need to immediately report the loss of your passport to the nearest police station and then to the nearest passport office.

You need to go to your nearest Passport Seva Kendra and would have to reapply for a passport under the reissue category. Where you would need to fill out a form and hand it in with the required documents.

When filling out the form you would need details of your old passport like the passport number, issue date, and expiry date. If you do not have these you need to visit the Passport Seva Kendra for assistance.

For you to receive your reissued passport it can take anything up to 15 days.

3. Karan

Karan Member

Losing a passport can be a stressful experience, but you can follow these general steps to apply for a replacement. Keep in mind that specific procedures may vary depending on your country of citizenship, so it's crucial to contact your country's embassy or consulate for the most accurate and up-to-date information. I'll provide a general guide:

1. File a Police Report:
      • Report the loss of your passport to the local police. Obtain a copy of the police report as it may be required during the application process.
    2. Contact the Embassy or Consulate:
      • Get in touch with the embassy or consulate of your home country in the country where you are currently residing. Provide them with details about the lost passport.
    3. Complete a Lost Passport Application:
      • Obtain and fill out the application form for a lost passport. This form is typically available on the official website of your country's embassy or consulate.
    4. Gather Required Documentation:
      • Prepare the necessary documentation, which may include a copy of the police report, a passport-sized photo, proof of identity, and any other documents specified by your embassy or consulate.
    5. Proof of Travel Plans:
      • Provide proof of your travel plans, such as a flight itinerary. Some countries may expedite the replacement process if you have imminent travel plans.
    6. Pay the Fee:
      • Pay the applicable fee for a replacement passport. The fee amount and accepted payment methods will vary, so check with the embassy or consulate.
    7. Submit the Application:
      • Submit your completed application and all required documents to the embassy or consulate. In some cases, you may need to appear in person.
    8. Wait for Processing:
      • The processing time for a replacement passport varies by country and can depend on factors such as the volume of applications and your specific situation. It can range from a few days to several weeks.
    9. Collect the New Passport:
      • Once your replacement passport is ready, collect it from the embassy or consulate. Some countries may also offer the option of having the new passport mailed to you.
    It's important to initiate the process as soon as possible, especially if you have upcoming travel plans. Contact your embassy or consulate promptly for guidance tailored to your situation. They will provide specific instructions, forms, and information on fees associated with the replacement process.