1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to cancel train ticket booked at counter?

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by DivyaKhosla, Sep 29, 2016.

1. DivyaKhosla

DivyaKhosla New Member

I had booked a train ticket from Pune to Delhi which was all done at the counter. There is no requirement for traveling now, so I need to cancel the ticket.

Please instruct me on how I can cancel train ticket which has been booked at the counter?

I hope I don't need to go back at the counter because the queues are very long, is there an online method to cancel the ticket?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hi there, welcome to the forum!

Fortunately, there is an online cancellation method for tickets booked at Indian Railways counters. I'll take you through the steps you need to do to cancel your ticket online.

How to Cancel an Indian Railways Ticket Booked Through the Counter (Online Method)

1. Go to the IRCTC Next Generation e-Ticketing System website.

2. On the homepage, click on the tab named Counter Ticket Cancellation.

3. A new page appears and you need to input your ticket's PNR Number, your Train Number and the required Captcha. Don't forget to tick the button station that you have read the cancellation rules. Then, click on Submit.

4. If you have given a working mobile number at the time of booking, a One Time Password (OTP) would be sent to your number. So check your phone and input the OTP in the required box.

5. Once the OTP you have input is correct and validated, your PNR and ticket details would be shown in the screen.

6. Check these details and make sure that they are correct. Click on Cancel Ticket button to fully cancel the booked ticket. The amount that will be refunded would be shown on screen.

7. A text message would be sent to your mobile number regarding the details of your PNR and refund. Keep this text and show it to the required PRS satellite station to claim your refund.

Keep in mind that online cancellation of a ticket booked through the counter has some restrictions:
    • You can only cancel booked tickets until 4 hours before scheduled departure of train (for confirmed tickets) and until 30 minutes before scheduled departure of train (for RAC or waitlisted tickets).
    • For tickets cancelled 1 day or more before the supposed schedule of the train, you can claim your refund at any PRS satellite station, provided that you bring the original PRS counter ticket. You can claim your refund up to 4 hours before scheduled departure of train for confirmed tickets and up to 30 minutes before scheduled departure of train for RAC or waitlisted tickets.
    • For tickets cancelled between 24 hours up to 4 hours before scheduled departure of train for confirmed tickets, you can only claim your refund at the journey commencing station or nearby satellite PRS location.
    • For tickets cancelled between 24 hours up to 30 minutes before scheduled departure of train for RAC or waitlisted tickets, you can only claim your refund at the journey commencing station or nearby satellite PRS location.
    • Furthermore, for those who cancelled their tickets less than 24 hours before the scheduled departure of the train and with the train schedules under 18:01 to 6:00, you can only claim your refund for 2 hours of the opening of the PRS counter the next day. While for trains with schedules between 6:01 to 18:00, you can only claim your refund up to 4 hours after the scheduled departure of the train during the working hours of the required PRS counter.
    I hope this helps you!:)

3. Prits

Prits Member

canceling a train ticket booked at the counter in India typically requires visiting the railway station counter from where the ticket was booked. However, online methods for canceling counter tickets have been introduced by Indian Railways, but they might vary based on the mode of payment and the type of ticket.

Here are the general steps you can take:

Offline Method (Counter):
    1. Visit the Counter:
      • Go to the railway station counter from where the ticket was booked.
    2. Fill Cancellation Form:
      • Collect a cancellation form from the counter and fill in the required details.
    3. Submit ID Proof:
      • Submit the cancellation form along with a valid ID proof (same as used during booking).
    4. Receive Refund:
      • After the cancellation is processed, you will receive a refund. The refund amount depends on the cancellation time and other factors.
    Online Method (If Available):
    1. Visit IRCTC Website:
    2. Log in to Your Account:
    3. Access Booking History:
      • Navigate to the "Booking History" section.
    4. Select the Ticket:
      • Select the counter ticket you want to cancel.
    5. Cancel Ticket:
      • If an online cancellation option is available, you may find it in the booking details. Follow the on-screen instructions to cancel.
    6. Refund Process:
      • The refund, if applicable, will be processed to the source (payment mode) used during the counter booking.
    Important Points to Note:
    • Cancellation Charges: There might be cancellation charges applicable, and the refund amount depends on the time of cancellation.

• Online Availability: Online cancellation for counter tickets may not be available for all types of tickets. Check the IRCTC website for the most accurate information.

• ID Proof: Ensure you carry the same ID proof used during booking when canceling the ticket at the counter.
    Since the procedures and online services are subject to change, I recommend checking the latest information on the official IRCTC website or contacting the railway authorities for the most accurate and up-to-date instructions regarding canceling counter tickets.