1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get a passport in India?

Discussion in 'Visa and Passport' started by Khosla81, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Khosla81

Khosla81 New Member

I require a new Indian passport for my wife. She doesn't have a previous passport, and it would be a brand new passport for her.
    My passport was applied by my parents, so I am unaware of how to get a passport in India.

I would like help in finding out how to get a passport in India?

I was hoping to take her maybe with me to Thailand next month, I would be going from work and would like her to accompany me. I would be good to get the passport quick, is there a tatkal system?

2. djtravels

djtravels Member

Search your nearest Passport office. Get the form from their or download it from their website. Fill the form and submit it along with the requisite documents. Apply for the Tatkal Passport. And get the passport in a day if police verification is not required. If it is required, you'll still get the passport first and then the verification will take place within 3 days (as the cops are usually busy with more serious stuff.)

Hopefully, you live in a place where there is no corruption. If you're in a place like Delhi, then have some cash ready or a reference from someone high up when the verifier shows up. My sister who lives their had to dish out some cash, which is unfortunate.

I and my friends OTOH found a helpful copper who drove us to a nearby market when the passport office's xerox machine gave way, and he got things done pretty quickly even though we were just regular people. We need people like that in the capital too. Good luck!

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hi there, welcome to the forum!

Here are the steps your wife needs to take in applying for a passport:

For online application

1. Go to the Passport Seva Online Portal and register as a new user. After completing the steps, login with the new user ID.

2. Click the Apply for New Passport link and choose Tatkal (instead of Normal) for Type of Application.

3. Fill in the application form. After completing the form, click Submit.

4. Click the Pay and Schedule Appointment link. Then, choose your mode of payment (credit/debit card, bank deposit or bank draft) and pay the fees required.

5. Click the Print Application Receipt with your Application Reference Number or Appointment Number and keep this.

6. You then need to go to the respective Passport Seva Kendra or Regional Passport Office within your specified appointment date and bring the required documents with you.

For e-Form application

1. Go to the Passport India website and download the e-Form (XML file). Fill this out completely and make sure that you choose Tatkal for the Type of Application. Then, click the Validate and Save button.

2. Go to the Passport Seva Online Portal and register as a new user. Login with your new user ID and upload the XML file that has been filled out.

3. Click the Pay and Schedule Appointment link. Then, choose your mode of payment (credit/debit card, bank deposit or bank drop) and pay the required fees.

4. Click the Print Application Receipt with your Application Reference Number or Appointment Number and keep this.

5. You then need to go to the respective Passport Seva Kendra or Regional Passport Office within your specified appointment date and bring the required documents with you.

A fee of Rs. 1,500 would be required for the application, which is why there's a mode of payment required in the steps.

The required documents are the following:
    • Proof of Present Address (Water Bill, Landline/Postpaid Mobile Bill, Electricity Bill, Income Tax Proof, Election Commission Photo Card, Spouse's Passport Copy etc.)
    • Proof of Date of Birth (Birth Certificate)
    • Standard Affidavit
    • Three Proofs of Identity (Aadhaar Card, Pan Card, Driving License, Elector's Photo Identity Card etc.)
    For Tatkal applicants, they need to pay an additional fee. For passports that need to be produced within 1 to 7 days after application, an additional fee of Rs. 1,500 have to be paid. Whereas for passports that need to be produced within 8 to 14 days after application, an additional fee of Rs. 1,000 have to be paid. These fees can be paid in person when applying for the passport.

Also, make sure that you produce the original copies of these documents as well as at least two copies of them. For Tatkal applicants, you need at least one photo identity document and at least one of the following documents (Elector's Photo Identity Card, Service Photo Identity Card, SC/ST/OBC Certificate, Freedom Fighter Identity Card, Arms License, Property Document, Pension Document, Ration Card and Railway Identity Card) for the three proofs of identity documents.

So on your scheduled appointment, go to the respective Passport Seva Kendra or Regional Passport Office. They would ask for these documents and also take your biometrics. After which, you'd be issued a Final Acknowledgement Receipt which you need to keep safely.

If you are not required for a police verification, you'd receive your passport within a day. But if you are required for a police verification, you'd receive your passport would be dispatched within three days. If required for police verification, bring the required documents above and also the signature, address and name for two witnesses.

There you go, I hope this clears up the process of Indian Passport Application for you.

P.S.

Here's another thread that might be of help to you: Documents required for Indian passport

:)

4. vkar

vkar Member

Most passport related applications (new, modification, corrections etc) can be done online through the password seva portal. Submit the form as per your need and get an appointment schedule. You will then need to visit the respective passport office or seva kendras in person along with all relevant documents. You will need to pay a fee when submitting the form online, if I remember correctly.

djtravels likes this.