1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Get Birth Certificate?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chit Chat' started by Neil, May 21, 2020.

1. Neil

Neil New Member

I am from United Kingdom and currently working in India (well at home now due to the COVID-19). My wife who is pregnant came to visit me from the UK in early February and was due to go back in mid-April, but due to obvious reasons was unable to get a flight back home in time for the delivery. She gave birth to our daughter just 2 weeks ago in Bangalore.

With all the hectic things going on in the hospitals, I have been unable to get some proper help in knowing where to obtain my daughter's birth certificate.

Please provide all the important step by step details, so I can get my daughter's birth certificate.

2. Prits

Prits Member

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter! Obtaining a birth certificate for your child in India involves a few essential steps. Here's a step-by-step guide on how to get your daughter's birth certificate in Bangalore:

Step 1: Report the Birth

Within 21 days of the child's birth, you need to report the birth to the local municipal authorities. This can typically be done at the local municipal corporation office, which is responsible for recording births and issuing birth certificates.

Step 2: Required Documents

Gather the necessary documents, including:

• Proof of birth (hospital or nursing home certificate)
    • Parent's identification (passport, Aadhar card, etc.)
    • Proof of residence (rent agreement, utility bills, etc.)
    Step 3: Visit the Municipal Office

Go to the local municipal office in Bangalore. They usually have a section specifically for births and deaths registration. You may need to fill out an application form for the birth certificate.

Step 4: Provide Information

Submit the required documents and provide all necessary information about the birth. The municipal authorities will verify the details.

Step 5: Pay the Fees

There may be a fee associated with obtaining the birth certificate. Be prepared to pay this fee at the municipal office. The fee amount can vary, so it's advisable to inquire about the exact fee during your visit.

Step 6: Verification

The municipal authorities will verify the information you provided and cross-check the details with the hospital or nursing home where the birth occurred.

Step 7: Collection

Once the birth is registered and verified, you will be issued a birth certificate. This process may take a few days to a couple of weeks, depending on the municipal office's efficiency.

Step 8: Additional Copies

Consider obtaining multiple copies of the birth certificate, as you may need them for various administrative purposes.

Please note that the process may vary slightly depending on the specific municipal office and local regulations. It's advisable to contact the municipal corporation office in Bangalore for precise information and to confirm the required documents and fees. Additionally, you may want to check if there are any updates or changes in the process due to the ongoing COVID-19 situation. Congratulations again on the birth of your daughter, and I wish you and your family all the best!