1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to go to Lakshadweep from Kochi?

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Thiro, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Thiro

Thiro New Member

I am from Kochi, and I plan to take my family on holiday to Lakshadweep. I require some help from members to provide me with some information on how to go to Lakshadweep from Kochi?

I need to know the smallest details as to which port I need to reach, how to get there from Kochi and also how to reach the islands from the port?

Getting a flight to any of the destinations may be easy, but I would also like to know about the other transport options which would be slight affordable.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello, @Thiro. Welcome to the forum!

Passenger ships plying to Lakshadweep leave from the Cochin Port. Cochin Port itself is located quite close to the city centre of Cochin. If however, you come from further places like Aluva, Vyttila or MG Road, there are buses plying from these places to Thoppumpady. From Thoppumpady, you can just walk the remaining distance, which is merely seven minutes away from the Cochin Port. Here are a few buses plying through these places and reaching Thoppumpady:

Buses from Cochin to Cochin Fort

Bus NumberDeparture from AirportArrival in DestinationRoute Covered
    JNK196:258:25Airport, Aluva, MG Road, Thoppumpady & Fort Cochin
    JNK17:509:25Airport, Aluva, Vyttila,Thoppumpady & Fort Cochin
    JNK29:3011:05Airport, Aluva, Vyttila,Thoppumpady & Fort Cochin
    JNK39:5511:30Airport, Aluva, Vyttila,Thoppumpady & Fort Cochin
    JNK1413:0014:35Airport, Aluva, Vyttila,Thoppumpady & Fort Cochin

So as you can see, the buses depart from the airport and passes by different places. If you reside in any of these places or near it, you just need to reach the bus stand and board the bus from there. Then, you need to be dropped off at Thoppumpady, before the bus reaches the Cochin Fort. You just need to cross the bridge and you can easily see the Cochin Port from there.

Once you reach the Cochin Port, you need to go to the Indira Gandhi Road and find the Cochin Office of the Administrative Officer. You can get your permit here for visiting the islands and also your tickets for ship journey. It is best to go to the Lakshadweep website for the official schedules of the different ships but for the months of October and November, here are some of the schedules though:

MV Arabian Sea Ship Schedules (Cochin Port to Kavaratti)

DateTiming
    November 1 14:00
    November 37:00
    November 614:00
    November 88:00
    November 1014:00
    November 128:00
    November 1514:00
    November 178:00
    November 1915:00
    November 218:00
    November 2414:00
    November 268:00

MV Corals Ship Schedules (Cochin Port to Kavaratti)

DateTiming
    October 2413:00
    October 278:00
    October 2913:00
    November 18:00
    November 316:00
    November 68:00
    November 814:00
    November 117:00
    November 1417:00
    November 177:00
    November 1912:00
    November 227:00

As you can see, ship schedules are not that regular and you need to fit your vacation schedule within these dates. Just check the official Lakshadweep Tourism website for a complete list of the ship schedules. For the ship fares, they also vary depending on the ship and class of ticket. For the MV Arabian Sea, here are the fare rates:

MV Arabian Sea Fares (Cochin Port to Kavaratti)

ClassFare
    First Class IRs. 2,030
    First Class IIRs. 2,990
    First Class IIIRs. 2,980
    Second Class IRs. 580
    Second Class IIRs. 970
    Second Class IIIRs. 970
    Bunk IRs. 200
    Bunk IIRs. 380
    Bunk IIIRs. 380

There are also other classes like VIP and Ladies but their rates are higher so I didn't include them. Anyway, these are passenger ships so there's limited on-board entertainment. You need to bring your own gadgets like tablets or music players in case you get bored along the way. These rates are not yet inclusive of meals so you have to take that into account.

You can also avail of the SPORTS packages, which are all inclusive packages. The SPORTS tour operator is under the government's management as well. With their packages, the accommodation (either in the ship or at a resort), the sightseeing, island hopping and meals are already included. One of their best packages is the Samudram Package, where you get to tour three islands during the day, as well as indulge in water sports like snorkelling and scuba diving and stay in the ship during the night. This package costs Rs. 25,000 for adults and Rs. 18,000 for children. It's a five-day cruise/tour starting from Cochin. This is the contact number of the SPORTS tour operator: +91 484 266 6789.

I hope this helps you even a bit.

3. Dhruv

Dhruv Member

Visiting Lakshadweep from Kochi is a great choice for a family vacation. Here's how you can go to Lakshadweep from Kochi:

1. Reach Kochi (Cochin):

• If you're not already in Kochi, you can reach the city by air, train, or bus. Cochin International Airport is the nearest airport, and Ernakulam Junction is the primary railway station.
    2. Travel to Lakshadweep Islands:

Option 1: By Flight

• The most convenient way to reach Lakshadweep is by taking a flight from Cochin International Airport (COK) to Agatti Airport (AGX), which is one of the airports in Lakshadweep.
    • Agatti Airport is connected to Kochi by regular flights operated by Air India and other carriers.
    • From Agatti, you can take a speedboat or ferry to your desired island within Lakshadweep. The island you choose to visit will determine the exact route.
    Option 2: By Ship (Affordable but Takes Longer)

• Lakshadweep Administration operates passenger ships that connect Kochi with Lakshadweep islands. This option is more affordable but takes longer than flying.
    • Check the Lakshadweep Administration's official website or contact their office in Kochi for the ship schedules, availability, and booking details.
    • Popular islands that can be reached by ship include Kavaratti, Kalpeni, and Minicoy, among others.
    3. Island-Hopping within Lakshadweep:

• Once you reach your chosen island, you can explore other islands by taking local ferries or boats. Each island has its own attractions, and island-hopping is a great way to experience the diversity of Lakshadweep.
    4. Permits and Accommodation:

• Ensure that you obtain the necessary permits to visit Lakshadweep. These permits are typically arranged through the Lakshadweep Tourism Office.
    • Book your accommodation in advance, as there are limited options on some islands. Many islands offer beachfront cottages and resorts.
    Please note that the availability of flights and ships to Lakshadweep may vary, and it's advisable to check the latest schedules and availability before planning your trip. Lakshadweep is a stunning destination known for its pristine beaches and coral reefs, making it a fantastic choice for a family holiday.