1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Learn Punjabi Language?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chit Chat' started by Jasmine, May 28, 2020.

1. Jasmine

Jasmine New Member

Hi everyone, I'm Jasmine from Canada. I am planning to visit India (Punjab) with my friend next year. She will be staying with her family in Punjab and she speaks Punjabi.

As I would be staying there for 2 weeks, I wanted to fit in and be able to understand what others say and also speak the same language as them. So I thought it would be a good idea to learn Punjabi, and seeing that the lockdown is on, what better time than this.

I would like some recommendations on how to learn the Punjabi language, as in the best sites or videos?

2. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

A vast majority in Punjab understands and speaks English so knowing how to speak Punjabi is not that essential for traveling.

You can try speaking Punjabi with your mother which in my opinion is the best way of learning and I am surprised you didint learn Punjabi when your mother speaks Punjabi as you mentioned.

Kate Collins likes this.

3. Kate Collins

Kate Collins Member

I think what she mentioned was her friend and her friend's family are the ones speaking Punjabi and she wanted to learn too.
    You are right, if majority in Punjab speaks English then she learning Punjabi isnt really needed. How about in Bangalore and Mumbai, do the majority also speak in English?

Thanks man!

4. Deven

Deven Member

One of my friends is a South Indian (so a non-punjabi) and all our other friends were Punjabi, and we used to watch Punjabi movies, often have conversations in Punjabi and he actually learned a lot. It had actually become quite fluent and it would be hard for someone to tell whether he was actually Punjabi or not.

So the key is to have regular Punjabi conversations with your mother and watch lots and lots of Punjabi movies (plus point is that they are really good to watch)

Kate Collins likes this.
  5. Kate Collins

Kate Collins Member

That is true - conversing in any language is a good practice to learn a language.