1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Make A Chutney?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Kate Collins, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Kate Collins

Kate Collins Member

I wanted to make a variety of chutney, like 2-3 to start with. Any suggestions of what chutneys to try? What are your favorites?

Bear with me, I am just a newbie to indian cuisine. Thanks guys.

2. Deven

Deven Member

The two main chutneys that I have had or are commonly used in Indian cuisines are mint chutney and sweet taramind chutney. There are others that I am not too familiar with, but it would also depend on what food or dish you are having your chutney with.

3. Kate Collins

Kate Collins Member

@Deven thanks for sharing. What food do you pair with mint chutney and the tamarind one? In making a chutney, is there a base ingredient? Thank you.

4. Deven

Deven Member

Mint chutney is paired with snacks veg and no veg, such as pakora's, chicken tikka, paneer tikka, aloo tikki, samosa, kebabs, etc.

Taramind chutney is usually served with veg snacks like pakora, samosa, and ontop of aloo tikki chaats.

No there isn't really a base ingredient. People have different versions of mint chutney, whereas tarmind chutney is usually made in one way.

Kate Collins likes this.
  5. Kate Collins

Kate Collins Member

Thanks @Deven . I am learning. and I am loving Indian food. Do you know also how to make the paneer tikka?

6. Prits

Prits Member

There are so many different types of chutneys. It also depends on the region in India. There are chutneys which are made mostly in South India and not in North India etc. But yes like Deven did say the main ones are green chutney (a bit minty and spicey) and red chutney (sweet).

Chutney is made from a combination of things, but there is no standard procedure or ingredients used. Ingredients for green chutney vary from things like tomatoes, mint, coriander, amla, radish onions, garlic etc. Its always good to experiment too.

Kate Collins likes this.
  7. Kate Collins

Kate Collins Member

Thanks Prits! I did not know that North India don't have chutneys. What do they have in substitute of chutney?

Thanks for sharing a few of the ingredients :D - I will try those!