1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Put On Mehndi?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Sammi5, Oct 11, 2023.

1. Sammi5

Sammi5 New Member

I know this is a bit off-topic from travel, but I saw there was a general discussion option.

I wanted to know how to put on mehndi, I have some mehndi cones which I brought from the local Indian shop, and now I need some help in applying it.

2. Prits

Prits Member

Applying mehndi, also known as henna, can be a fun and creative process. Here are some steps to guide you on how to put on mehndi using mehndi cones:

Materials You'll Need:

• Mehndi cones
    • Clean and dry hands
    • Tissues or paper towels
    • Design stencil (optional)
    • Toothpick or a thin stick (optional)
    Steps to Apply Mehndi:

1. Prepare Your Skin:
      • Start with clean and dry hands. Avoid using lotions or oils on your skin before applying mehndi, as it can affect the color and longevity of the design.
    2. Create a Design:
      • If you're confident in freehand design, you can start applying mehndi directly. However, if you're new to it or want a specific pattern, you can use design stencils as a guide. Place the stencil on your hand and trace the design lightly with a pencil.
    3. Squeeze the Cone:
      • Gently warm up the mehndi cone by rolling it between your hands. Cut the tip of the cone to create a small opening. Be cautious not to cut too much, as this will affect the thickness of the lines.
    4. Start Applying:
      • Begin applying mehndi by gently squeezing the cone. It's similar to using a pen or pencil. You can control the flow by varying the pressure you apply to the cone.
    5. Draw the Design:
      • Follow the pattern or your own design, working from the center outward. Start with simple lines and shapes. Mehndi is often built using a combination of lines, dots, and shapes.
    6. Filling In:
      • You can fill in spaces with smaller designs like dots, spirals, or leaves. The key is to be creative and make the design your own.
    7. Drying Time:
      • Allow the mehndi to dry on your skin. It usually takes a few hours to dry completely. Avoid touching the design during this time to prevent smudging.
    8. Seal the Design:
      • To enhance the color and longevity of the mehndi, you can apply a sugar and lemon mixture with a cotton ball to the dried design. This mixture acts as a sealant.
    9. Scrape Off Excess:
      • Once the mehndi is completely dry, gently scrape off any excess dried henna using a flat, blunt tool like a toothpick or the edge of a spoon. This reveals the reddish-brown henna stain underneath.
    10. Avoid Water:
      • Avoid contact with water for the first 24 hours to allow the design to darken and set properly.
    11. Aftercare:
      • Apply a thin layer of oil (like olive or coconut oil) to the design to keep it moisturized and prolong its life. Be gentle while washing your hands and try to avoid scrubbing the design directly.
    Remember that the color of mehndi may vary from light orange to deep brown, depending on factors like the quality of the henna and the time you leave it on your skin. With practice, you can create intricate and beautiful mehndi designs.