1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to reach Dalhousie?

Discussion in 'Himachal Pradesh' started by Gogia, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Gogia

Gogia New Member

I am planning my winter holidays to Dalhousie this year. I would be driving to the destination from Chandigarh, and require some help on how to reach Dalhousie.

There are a few questions which I would like members to answer so that I can plan the trip well.

1. What route would I take to reach Dalhousie from Chandigarh?

2. How many hours would it take to reach Dalhousie?

3. I have planned to drive to the destination myself, do you think I should take a taxi instead?

4. What would the taxi cost be to reach Dalhousie from Chandigarh?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello, @Gogia! Welcome to the forum!

There are two routes that you can take to reach Dalhousie from Chandigarh:
    • Route No. 1 via NH103A - Chandigarh > Rupnagar > Garhshankar > Hoshiarpur > Haryana > Dasuya > Pathankot > Dalhousie.
    This route is about 312 kms and it can take you 7 hours or more to cover that distance. From Chandigarh to Rupnagar, it's a single lane toll road but the route is in excellent condition. Roads are well-maintained and you can reach the latter in about an hour or so.

From Rupnagar to Hoshiarpur, road conditions are good as well. However, these areas can get congested with traffic especially during rush hours. Make sure you leave early to avoid the traffic within this stretch.

Then, from Hoshiarpur to Dasuya, this is the start of the hilly roads. There's not much incline or loops though which make the driving fairly easy even for those who haven't tried driving on hills before.

From Dasuya to Pathankot to Dalhousie, there are some climbs but it is overall manageable. It can take you about three hours to reach Dalhousie from Pathankot.
    • Route No. 2 via Chamba Pathankot Road - Chandigarh > Machhiwara > Ranon > Garhshankar > Hoshiarpur > Haryana > Dasuya > Pathankot > Dalhousie.
    This route is almost the same as above although you take the Machhiwara to Ranon road instead of the Rupnagar one. Again, road conditions are good here and if you're closer to these towns, then it's best to take this route.

From Garhshankar to Dalhousie, you can refer to the above road conditions which I already posted.

There is another route but I don't recommend it:
    • Alternative Route via NH1 - Chandigarh > Ludhiana > Jalandhar > Dasuya > Pathankot > Dalhousie.
    Traffic is the worst at this route and it can take you longer to reach Dalhousie if you use it. If you're leaving very early though, then you can consider this alternative route which has good road conditions. Otherwise, just choose one of the two routes above. Either of them works and both are scenic along the way. Like I have mentioned, they're also quite easy even for beginner drivers to hilly terrains.

It can take you 6 hours at the very least and 8 hours at the most to reach Dalhousie from Chandigarh. It depends on the route you take, the traffic you encounter and the stopovers you take for the journey.

Driving through this route is suitable even for beginner drivers for hilly terrains, you won't encounter much ascents or curves. If you'd like to be able to experience driving this terrain, then I'd recommend just driving your own vehicle. However, if you'd just like to enjoy the ride and relax, then you can hire a taxi. Make sure you hire a taxi locally so he'd know the route to take and would have some experience already in this terrain.

Here are the taxi rates from Chandigarh to Dalhousie:
    • K C Tours and Travels - Indica at Rs. 4,923, Indigo at Rs. 5,804 and Tavera at Rs. 6,917.
    • Clear Car Rental - Indica at Rs. 6,212 and Honda City at Rs. 14,461.
    So on average, taxi fare is between Rs. 5,000 to Rs. 6,000 for Chandigarh to Dalhousie.

I hope this helps!

3. Deven

Deven Member

To reach Dalhousie from Chandigarh by road, you can follow this route:

1. Route from Chandigarh to Dalhousie:
      • Start in Chandigarh and head north on NH5 (also known as NH154).
      • Continue on NH5, passing through Rupnagar, Anandpur Sahib, and Una.
      • From Una, continue on NH503 towards Dalhousie.
    2. Travel Time:
      • The driving distance between Chandigarh and Dalhousie is approximately 315 kilometers.
      • The journey can take around 8-10 hours, depending on road conditions, traffic, and your speed.
    3. Driving vs. Taxi:
      • Whether you should drive yourself or hire a taxi depends on your preferences, driving experience, and comfort.
      • If you enjoy road trips, have a valid driver's license, and are comfortable with long drives, self-driving can be a rewarding experience.
      • If you'd prefer a more relaxed journey or are unsure about the road conditions, you can consider hiring a taxi. It also allows you to enjoy the scenery without the stress of driving.
    4. Taxi Costs:
      • Taxi fares can vary depending on the type of taxi, the duration of your trip, and the taxi service provider. It's advisable to get quotes from multiple taxi operators for the most accurate pricing.
      • As of my last update in 2021, a one-way taxi ride from Chandigarh to Dalhousie could cost anywhere from INR 4,000 to INR 6,000 or more, depending on the car type and operator.
    Please note that road conditions and travel times can change based on weather and road maintenance. It's essential to check current road conditions and traffic updates before embarking on your journey. Also, make sure your vehicle is in good condition for the trip, especially if you choose to drive.