1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Reach Gir Forest?

Discussion in 'Wildlife and National Parks' started by Ashwini, May 17, 2019.

1. Ashwini

Ashwini New Member

Hello everyone, I am trying to plan a trip to Gir Forest with my family and would like some help in knowing how to reach Gir Forest.

Some things to take into consideration:

I have three kids aged 12 years, 9 years and 6 years.

I would be traveling from Mumbai.

I would ideally like to travel in the most convenient way but the cost is something which also needs to be considered.

2. Deven

Deven Member

Hi Ashwini,

I understand that the cost of the trip needs to be thought about, however, I will still post travel information by train and flight, as then you have a choice of travel, and can easily compare, the time it takes to travel and also cost. Below are travel details from Mumbai to Sasan Gir (Gir National Park).

Mumbai to Gir National Park by Flight

Going by flight from Mumbai to Gir National Park would be the easiest and quickest way. As there is no airport in Sasan Gir there are two destination options for flights.

Flight from Mumbai to Rajkot or to Diu.

Mumbai to Rajkot

Mumbai to Rajkot flight would take around 1 hour and 10 minutes. From Rajkot, you would then need to take a taxi towards Gir National Park which would take roughly 4 hours.

Mumbai to Diu

Mumbai to Diu flight would take roughly the same time around 1 hour 5 minutes. However the travel time from Diu to Gir National Park is less, and it would only take you around 2 hours to reach the park from the airport.

Mumbai to Gir National Park by Train

Mumbai to Junagadh

If traveling by train, from Mumbai you would need to get a train to either Junagadh Junction. The journey would take anywhere between 17 hours to 1 day and 16 hours, depending on which train you choose. From the Junagadh Junction railway station, you would then need to get a taxi to Gir National Park which would take another 2 hours.

Mumbai to Rajkot

The other option is getting a train from Mumbai to Rajkot (mainline railway station). This train journey would take you anywhere between 11 and a half hours to 14 hours, again depending on which train you take. But when wanting to reach Gir National Park from Rajkot railway station the journey would take you 4 hours by taxi.

3. Shiv

Shiv Member

Getting to Gir Forest from Mumbai with your family can be done conveniently in a few ways. Here's a breakdown of the options considering both comfort and cost:

Most Convenient Option: Fly to Diu

• Take a flight from Mumbai to Diu. Diu has a small domestic airport with regular flights from major cities in India.
    • From Diu, you can hire a taxi or cab to get to Gir National Park. The distance is approximately 97 kilometers, and the ride takes about 2 hours.

Pros:
    • This is the fastest and most convenient option, especially with young children.
    • Flights can be surprisingly affordable, especially if you book in advance.
    Cons:
    • This might be the most expensive option compared to train or bus.

Mid-Ground Option: Train to Junagadh or Rajkot
    • Take a train from Mumbai to Junagadh or Rajkot. Both cities have railway stations well-connected to Mumbai.
    • From Junagadh or Rajkot, you can hire a taxi or cab to reach Gir National Park. The distance from Junagadh is around 65 kilometers, and from Rajkot, it's around 160 kilometers. Travel time varies depending on the city you choose as a stopover.
    Pros:
    • Trains are a relatively affordable and comfortable way to travel in India.
    • This option offers a bit more flexibility compared to flying.
    Cons:
    • The journey will take longer than flying (around 7-8 hours by train).
    • You'll need to factor in the cost and hassle of onward transportation from Junagadh or Rajkot to Gir National Park.

Budget-Friendly Option: Bus to Sasan Gir
    • Take a direct bus from Mumbai to Sasan Gir, the town closest to Gir National Park.
    • There are several private bus companies operating on this route.

Pros:
    • This is the most budget-friendly option.
    Cons:
    • Buses can be crowded and uncomfortable, especially for a long journey with children.
    • Bus journeys can take even longer than trains (around 10-12 hours).

Additional Tips:
    • Consider the time of day you'll be traveling with young children. Night trains or buses might be a good option to minimize daytime disruptions.
    • Look for family-friendly accommodation options near Gir National Park. Many resorts and guesthouses offer amenities like playgrounds or swimming pools to keep children entertained.
    • Book your Gir Forest safari in advance, especially during peak season.
    By considering these factors and options, you can choose the most suitable way to reach Gir Forest with your family and have a memorable wildlife experience.