1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Reach Haridwar From Delhi

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Sonali Roy, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Sonali Roy

Sonali Roy New Member

I would like to know how to get to Haridwar from Delhi. Below are my queries if you could help me out with these:

How to reach Haridwar from Delhi?

Is it better to drive or take public transport?

Are there direct trains or buses between Delhi and Haridwar?

What are the roads like between Delhi and Haridwar?

2. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

You could take a train, a bus or drive to Haridwar. It is just a 4-5 hour drive.

I have been to Haridwar many times and find it easier to drive. Public transport is not bad either, it is a matter of personal choice really.

Plenty of trains and lots of buses go direct from Delhi to Haridwar. There are night trains and buses as well so you have plenty of choices.

Have a look at the Delhi to Haridwar road condition thread that is recently been updated.

3. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

I think this depends on if you need a vehicle at your destination. I prefer using the train when it is an option. Like Chahal said, it is 4 to 5 hours. The lowest fare cost I found was Rs 140, but that can be higher for better tickets. I like the train because there is more room than a bus, and you can arrive relaxed.

4. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello!

The distance between Delhi and Haridwar is about 239.8 kms. You have several transportation options:

1. The first one would be via train. I'd consider this the most convenient, cheapest and fastest way to reach Haridwar from Delhi. There are about 19 trains reaching Haridwar from Delhi. Travel time varies but it's between four to five hours at the most. Here are your best train options:
    • Dehradun Shatabdi Train No. 12017 - This train departs daily at 6:45 and arrives at 11:22.
    • Dehradun Express Train No. 22659 - This train runs every Sunday. Departure is at 11:00 and arrival time is at 15:35.
    • Valsad Haridwar Express Train No. 12911 - This train runs every Wednesday. Departure is at 11:00 and arrival is at 16:05.
    • Dehradun Jan Shatabdi Train No. 12055 - This train runs everyday at 15:20 and arrives at 19:32.
    2. Your next option would be via state buses. State buses leave from Kashmiri Gate to Haridwar. One bus timing I was able to find:
    • Delhi to Haridwar State Bus - Departs at 9:45 am from the Kashmiri Gate.
    3. Your last option would be via private buses. It's more advisable to ride state buses as they're cheaper and convenient. But if you have no choice, here are some timings for private buses:
    • International Tourist Center (AC Seater/Sleeper) - Departs at 11:30 pm and arrives at 5:00 am. Fare is at Rs. 450 to Rs. 599.
    • AG Holidays (Tata AC Seater) - Departs at 11:30 pm and arrives at 5:10 am. Fare is at Rs. 449.
    • Kings Holiday Tours (AC Seater) - Departs at 9:30 pm and arrives at 5:00 am. Fare is at Rs. 499.
    It really depends upon your preference. If it's just you, then you can opt for public transportation. It's cheaper and more convenient. You won't have to find parking spaces or even gas stations.

However, if you have elderly people or young children with you, it's better to bring your own car. Since these people are more vulnerable, they would benefit more with having your own vehicle. You can control your stopovers as well.

Yes, there are many direct trains and buses from Delhi to Haridwar, like I've mentioned above.

The route you have to take would be:
    • Delhi > Meerut > Muzaffarnagar > Roorkee > Haridwar
    From Delhi to Muzaffarnagar, the roads are in good condition. Back then, the roads from Muzzaffarnagar to Roorkee are not four-laned. But I know last year that they started reconstructing the roads into four lanes. That might be finished by now, so overall, this route is good for driving.

I hope this helps!