1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Reach Khajuraho from Jabalpur

Discussion in 'Central India' started by Shivani, May 28, 2016.

1. Shivani

Shivani New Member

I am from Jabalpur and together with my family, we will be going to Khajuraho to see the famous temples and the sculptures.
    We had a bad experience with our GPS system, so we don't really want to reply on that and instead would like to get information for people on how to reach Khajuraho from Jabalpur.

We don't need the minute details like turn left from this road blah blah, but the basics so we follow the right route to reach our destination.

2. Debapriya Deb

Debapriya Deb Active Member

Khajuraho and Jabalpur are around 250 KM apart. It usually takes around 5.5-6 hours to reach Khajuraho from Jabalpur by car.

There are two routes. The first one, which is the shorter of the two routes, is via NH-7 followed by SH-10, SH49 and NH75. Take NH7 from Jabalpur and drive towards Dwara via Pipraundh and Gulwara. Around 10 KM after Dwara, take the left deviation to SH10. Continue to drive along SH10 till you arrive at Amanganj. Here you need to leave SH10 and take a slight right onto SH49. Drive straight till you hit Panna-Satna Road (NH75) a few kilometers before Panna National Park. Continue to drive along NH75 through Nahri and Madla for 35 odd kilometers and then you need to take a 90 degree right turn towards Airport Road. The Western Group of Temples at Khajuraho is around 6 KM from the NH75-Airport Road intersection.

Jabalpur to Khajuraho Route 1: Jabalpur - Pipraundh - Gulwara - Dwara - Amanganj - Panna - Nahri - Madla - Khajuraho (Distance - 251 KM).

The other route is via NH12(A). It increases the distance by around 35 KM, but traffic is comparatively lesser. From Jabalpur, take NH12(A) to arrive at Damoh. From there, take a right turn onto SH49. Around 5 KM after Budwar, turn left and drive for another 10 KM to join SH10. Drive along SH10 till you reach Dewra. Then take a right turn towards Bendri via Jhamtuli, where you will touch down NH75. Take another right on NH75 and after 6 KM you will find Airport Road on your left. From there, Khajuraho is another 6 KM drive.

Jabalpur to Khajuraho Route 2: Jabalpur - Damoh - Hatta - Budwar - Dewra - Jhamtuli - Bendri - Khajuraho (Distance - 286 KM).

Route 1 is the better option. You won't encounter heavy traffic if you start early in the morning. You can also visit the famous Panna Tiger Reserve if you are taking this route.

Regards,
    Deb

3. Sourav

Sourav New Member

I have been on route 1 back in 2013 but was not aware of the Panna Tiger Reserve. Where about's in Panna is the tiger reserve, so I don't miss it next time I am on this route?

4. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello, @Sourav!

This is the route number one listed above:
    • Jabalpur > Pipraundh > Gulwara > Dwara > Amanganj > Panna > Nahri > Madla > Khajuraho
    Instead of going straight from Panna to Nahri, you would take a turn to Majhgawan Road in Panna. So your new route would be:
    • Jabalpur > Pipraundh > Gulwara > Dwara > Amanganj > Panna > Majghawan Road > Madaiya > Umrawan > Hinauta > Panna National Park
    From Panna, the National Park is about 32.7 kms away so about an hour more of travel time.

The Panna National Park or Panna Tiger Reserve is the 22nd Tiger Reserve in India. It is also the 5th Tiger Reserve in Madhya Pradesh. It's important to note though that the tigers here have disappeared due to poaching. A few years ago, about 30 tigers resided in the park but most of them disappeared, with only two remaining tigresses. Two more tigers and two tigresses were transferred from the Kanha National Park and Bandhavgarh National Park to the Panna National Park.

Thankfully, one of the tigresses gave birth to four cubs in 2010. Two of these four cubs are still alive today. Just after that, another tigress gave birth to four cubs which are all still alive today. One of the tigresses died though due to an infection from her radio collar. Now, there are 4 adult tigers and 10 cubs in the reserve.

Aside from the tigers, there are also leopards, chitals, chinkaras and sloth bears in the reserve. It is also the home to over 200 species of migratory birds.

I hope this helps!