1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to reach Munnar?

Discussion in 'South India' started by Kattaria, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Kattaria

Kattaria New Member

I will be traveling from Bangalore to Munnar by driving there myself, well it is the plan I have. I like driving and think that taking our vehicle is much better, as we can wherever and whenever we want and also the views would be beautiful and if we feel like we can stop and take pictures.

In your opinion what would be the better transport mode option to reach Munnar?

What are road conditions like from Bangalore to Munnar?

Which route should I take to reach Munnar?

I believe that the journey would take about 10 hours when going towards Munnar should we stop somewhere?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello, @Kattaria! Welcome to the forum!

So first of all, here are your transportation options from Bangalore to Munnar:

1. By Bus - You have many options for direct buses plying from Bangalore to Munnar. The first one is the Karnataka State Road Transport Corporation. This company has one daily bus plying to Munnar from Bangalore. Here is its timing:
    • Karnataka State RTC Bus (Rajahamsa Executive) - This bus leaves from the Shanti Nagar Bus Stand at 9:00 pm and arrives in Munnar the next day at 10:30 am. The ticket costs Rs. 540 per passenger.
    The second one is the Kerala State Road Transport Corporation. This company also has one direct bus plying from Bangalore to Munnar. Here is the timing:
    • Kerala State RTC Bus (Super Deluxe Air Bus) - This bus leaves from the Bangalore at 4:00 pm and arrives in Munnar the next day at 7:30 am.
    There are also a number of private buses plying this route:
    • KPN - They have a Non AC Bus leaving in Bangalore at 9:45 pm and arrives in Munnar at 10:30 am the next day. Fare is at Rs. 900 per passenger. They also have an AC Sleeper Bus leaving in Kalasipalyam at 10:00 pm and arrives in Munnar at 10:30 am the next day. Fare is at Rs. 1,150 per passenger.
    • Greenline Travels and Holiday (AC Sleeper) - This bus departs from Majestic Bus Stand at 10:00 pm and arrives in Munnar at 9:30 am. Fare is at Rs. 1,249 per passenger.
    • SRS Travels (Non AC Sleeper) - This bus departs from Majestic Bus Stand at 8:45 pm and arrives in Munnar at 6:45 am. Fare is at Rs. 949 per passenger.
    • Royal Travels (Non AC Sleeper) - This bus departs from Bangalore at 7:00 pm and arrives in Munnar at 9:30 am. Fare is at Rs. 1,000 per passenger.
    • Kallada Travels (Non AC Seater) - This bus departs from Bangalore at 8:45 pm and arrives in Munnar at 9:30 am. Fare is at Rs. 910 per passenger.
    Journey time with a bus is around 10 to 14 hours.

2. By Train - There are no direct trains connecting Bangalore to Munnar. You have to board a train going to Ernakulam Junction, which is about 150 kms away from Munnar. Here are some train timings from Bangalore to Ernakulam Junction:
    • Ernakulam Express Train No. 12677 - Departs daily from Bangalore at 6:15 and arrives at 16:55 in Ernakulam Junction.
    • Kochuveli Express Train No. 16315 - Departs daily from Bangalore at 17:00 and arrives at 4:25 in Ernakulam Junction.
    • Ernakulam Super Fast Express Train No. 12684 - Departs during Tuesdays and Thursdays from Bangalore at 18:45 and arrives at 6:05 in Ernakulam Junction.
    • Ernakulam Super Fast Express Train No. 22608 - Departs during Mondays from Bangalore at 18:45 and arrives at 6:05 in Ernakulam Junction.
    Train journey is around 10 to 12 hours. Once you reach Ernakulam Junction, the KSRTC Bus Station is very near it and you can board a bus plying to Munnar. Here are some of their timings:
    • Ernakulam Munnar Ordinary KSRTC Bus - Departs at 1:30 am and arrives at 6:10 am.
    • Ernakulam Kovilloor Fast Passenger KSRTC Bus - Departs at 4:00 am and arrives at 8:40 am.
    • Ernakulam Munnar AC Volvo KSRTC Bus - Departs at 9:00 am and arrives at 2:05 pm.
    Bus journey is around 4 to 5 hours long.

3. By Private Vehicle - You can also just take your own vehicle or a rented one. It's the most convenient option especially if you have young kids or elderly people with you. Here's the route that you can take:
    • Bangalore > Hosur > Krishnagiri > Dharmapuri > Salem > Perundurai > Udumalpet > Marayoor > Munnar.
    This route is about 476 kms long. It can take you approximately 10 hours to reach Munnar with this one. An alternative route would be:
    • Bangalore > Kanakpura > Coimbatore > Pollachi > Udumalaippettai > Marayoor > Munnar.
    This route is about 444 kms long. It can take you approximately 10 hours to reach Munnar with this one.

The better mode of transportation really differs depending on your main goal, if:
    • You're looking at the most economical way to reach Munnar, then consider the bus journey which doesn't cost much especially if you board ordinary buses.
    • You're looking for the most scenic way to reach Munnar, then consider both the train journey and the car journey. You can enjoy the sceneries much more through these transportation options.
    • You're looking for the most comfortable way to reach Munnar, then a higher class of train can give you that. But since you have to change in Ernakulam for a bus, it can be a tad bit inconvenient. In that case, then consider the car journey which is a more direct way to reach Munnar.
    I'd describe the road conditions for the first route, which is the usual way that tourists reach Munnar from Bangalore:
    • Bangalore > Hosur > Krishnagiri > Dharmapuri > Salem > Perundurai > Udumalpet > Marayoor > Munnar.
    From Bangalore to Salem, this route has excellent road conditions. You would need to pass through 3 to 4 tolls along the way. You would reach Salem in about 3 hours, which isn't too bad. Since it has tolls, it has well-maintained and paved roads so driving here is a breeze.

From Salem to Perundurai, road conditions are good. Traffic is very minimal especially during early morning. Make sure you watch out for the signboard pointing to the direction of Perundurai.

From Perundurai to Udumalpet, roads are in single lane. There's not much traffic but there are a few diversions due to ongoing road works. So do make sure you look for the signs indicating the diversions.

From Udumalpet to Marayoor, this is the beginning of the hilly terrains. Also, there are no fuel stations here so make sure you fill your tank before reaching Udumalpet. There are some hairpin bends and curves that you need to traverse here. There are some checkpoints here as well but you only need to register your vehicle and you'll be on your way.

From Marayoor to Munnar, the roads are very narrow with metal fencing around. It's not unusual to see animals around the fencing. Be careful in driving in this route as there are sharp turns and bends. Do take a rest if you feel like you're too tired already.

I'd recommend the first route I've given, which is: Bangalore > Hosur > Krishnagiri > Dharmapuri > Salem > Perundurai > Udumalpet > Marayoor > Munnar. It's the commonly used route and has good road conditions overall. The second route is more apt if you're aiming to pass through Coimbatore.

Yes, you can stop at Salem for some quick snack or meal. The highway has some great vegetarian restaurants that you can eat in. On the way to Marayoor, I suggest stopping over at Udumalpet to refill your fuel tank and other refreshments and snacks as there are no available stalls nor petrol stations within Marayoor.

I hope this helps!