1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to reach Shimla?

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by ImmPraver, Aug 31, 2016.

1. ImmPraver

ImmPraver New Member

I will be getting a flight to Amritsar and be staying there for three days. From there I will be getting ready to go to my main holiday destination to Shimla.

I would like to know how to reach Shimla from Amritsar?

What mode of transport would be the best way to travel?

A rough estimate of the cost for traveling from Amritsar to Shimla?

I am also considering taking my uncles car and driving there, is that a good idea?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hi there, welcome to the forum!

Here are your transportation options from Amritsar to Shimla:

1. By Bus - There are no direct buses from Amritsar to Shimla. You need to first ride a bus from Amritsar to Chandigarh. There are two types of buses that you can board: Punjab Roadways Buses and Private Buses. Here are the timings for the Punjab Roadways Buses:
    • Volvo AC Seater - Departs from Amritsar at 4:00 am and 7:20 am. Arrives in Chandigarh at 9:00 am and 12:50 pm respectively. Fare is at Rs. 529 per passenger.
    • Mercedes AC Seater - Departs from Amritsar at 11:00 am and 5:20 pm. Arrives in Chandigarh at 4:00 pm and 10:50 pm respectively. Fare is at Rs. 529 per passenger.
    These buses depart from the ISBT Counter No. 7 in Amritsar.

For the private buses, here are their timings:
    • Libra Bus Service (Mercedes AC Seater) - Departs from the Hall Gate in Amritsar at 5:45 am and 2:45 pm. Arrives in Chandigarh at 9:30 am and 6:30 pm respectively. Fare is at Rs. 517 per passenger.
    • Guardian Travels (Mercedes AC Semi-Sleeper) - Departs from the Hall Gate in Amritsar at 5:50 am and 3:00 pm. Arrives in Chandigarh at 9:40 am and 6:40 pm respectively. Fare is at Rs. 517 per passenger.
    • Maharaja Travels (Mercedes AC Semi-Sleeper) - Departs from the Hall Gate in Amritsar at 5:45 am and 1:45 pm. Arrives in Chandigarh at 9:30 am and 6:15 pm respectively. Fare is at Rs. 517 per passenger.
    From Chandigarh, you can then ride another bus to reach Shimla. HRTC Buses ply this route, here are their timings:
    • HRTC Ordinary Express Bus - Departs at 6:00 pm, 7:00 pm and 8:00 pm from Chandigarh. Fare is at Rs. 172 per passenger.
    2. By Train - There are also no direct trains from Amritsar to Shimla. You can opt to ride a train from Amritsar to Chandigarh first. Here are their timings:
    • Amritsar Chandigarh Duronto Express Train No. 12242 - Departs from Amritsar daily at 5:15 and arrives in Chandigarh at 9:10.
    • Amritsar Lal Kuan Express Train No. 14616 - Departs from Amritsar on Saturdays at 5:55 and arrives in Chandigarh at 10:20.
    • Gondwana Express Train No. 12412 - Departs from Amritsar daily at 17:30 and arrives in Chandigarh at 21:55.
    • Amritsar Saharsa Jansadharan Weekly Express Train No. 15532 - Departs from Amritsar on Mondays at 17:50 and arrives in Chandigarh at 22:45.
    Fares are the following: AC Chair at Rs. 435 per passenger and 2nd Class at Rs. 120 per passenger.

From Chandigarh, you can ride another train to Kalka:
    • Himalayan Queen Train No. 14095 - Departs from Chandigarh daily at 10:33 and arrives in Kalka at 11:10.
    • Kalka Shatabdi Train No. 12011 - Departs from Chandigarh daily at 11:13 and arrives in Kalka at 11:45.
    • Barmer Kalka Express Train No. 14888 - Departs from Chandigarh daily at 5:20 and arrives in Kalka at 5:55.
    Fares are the following: Rs. 45 in Second Seater (2S), Rs. 260 in Chair Car (CC), Rs. 545 in First AC (1A), Rs. 695 in Second AC (2A), Rs. 140 in Sleeper (SL) and Rs. 490 in Third AC (3A) in general quota.

And then, from Kalka, ride another train going to Shimla:
    • Kalka Simla Express Train No. 52453 - Departs from Kalka daily at 6:00 and arrives in Shimla at 11:05.
    • Shivalik Deluxe Express Train No. 52451 - Departs from Kalka daily at 5:30 and arrives in Shimla at 10:15.
    • Himalayan Queen Train No. 52455 - Departs from Kalka daily at 12:10 and arrives in Shimla at 17:20.
    Fares are the following: AC Chair at Rs. 295 per passenger and 2nd Class at Rs. 65 per passenger.

3. By Car - You can also take your own vehicle or rent a car to reach Shimla from Amritsar. It's more convenient and you can control the stopovers along the way. The routes you can take are:
    • Route No. 1 via Grand Trunk Road - Amritsar > Jalandhar > Phagwara > Balachaur > Rupnagar > Pinjore > Shimla.
    This route is about 336 kms long. It can take you 7 to 8 hours to cover this distance. It also has tolls and the roads are well-maintained. You need to leave early though to avoid the traffic along Jalandhar.
    • Route No. 2 via SH18 - Amritsar > Jalandhar > Phagwara > Balachaur > Rupnagar > Nalagarh > Arki > Shimla.
    This route is shorter at 307 kms. It can take you 7 hours or less to cover this distance. This has tolls as well just like the first route.

The best mode of public transport would be by train. The views along the way are scenic as well and if you choose a higher class, you can have a comfortable ride. It's the cheapest option as well especially if you choose the lower classes. The ride won't be as bumpy as compared to a bus.

Here are the estimated costs for both train and bus travel:
    • Bus - Estimated fare of Rs. 1,300 for one-way ride.
    • Train - Estimated fare of Rs. 1,500 for one-way ride.
    Yes, if you can drive well, then it's the best option. I have given you the possible routes above. With your own car, you can control the stopovers and if you'd like to take pictures along the way, it is okay as well. You won't be bothered by delays as well nor changing of buses or trains this way.

I hope this helps!

3. djtravels

djtravels Member

Get to Chandigarh by a volvo bus. And from their hire an outstation cab from OLA. I don't know if Uber's offering the same thing. But, OLA's about half as costly as any other cab services. Its much less costly as compared to driving their yourself.

If you have a ton of time on your hands, you can also take the toy train from Kalka to Shimla or from Shimla to Kalka. But, only do that if you have time and if you're going in Oct or later.

4. Prits

Prits Member

There are quite a few options, it depends on how to feel driving in the hills, or how convenient you find the mode of transport, it depends on person to person.

The first which is simple, either get a taxi or drive yourself from Amritsar to Shimla, the journey would take you anywhere between 9 to 12 hours, depending on the route and speed you travel at.

The other option is getting a bus from Amritsar to Chandigarh then from Chandigarh to Shimla, I would say the same traveling duration. Only issue would be having to change buses at Chandigarh.

Then the third option is getting a flight from Amritsar to Chandigarh then getting a taxi from Chandigarh to Shimla.