1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Reach Sonagachi?

Discussion in 'West Bengal' started by Mathur, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Mathur

Mathur New Member

I am from Bangalore and am in training to be a journalist, I plan to go to Sonacgachi for a documentary research and need some help in knowing how I can reach Sonagachi.

I plan to travel by flight to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport, please guide me how to reach Sonagachi from there?

2. Dhruv

Dhruv Member

Sonagachi is in the North of Kolkata. The distance from Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport to Sonagachi is 15km which should take around 20 minutes in a car.

You can also reach Sonagachi by the Kolkata metro train. The closest metro station to Sonagachi is Shobhabazar station and Sonagachi is a 3-minute walk from there.

If you are on the Sealdah metro line then you must get off from Bidhan Nagar station and then take a 5-minute bus journey to Shobhabazar, then again a 3-minute walk to reach Sonagachi.

3. Deven

Deven Member

Sonagachi is a well-known red-light district located in Kolkata, West Bengal. To travel from Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport (Kolkata Airport) to Sonagachi, you have several transportation options:

1. Taxi or Cab:

• This is the most convenient option. You can hire a taxi or app-based cab (such as Ola or Uber) from the airport directly to Sonagachi. It's relatively fast and comfortable. Make sure to use a reputable service and confirm the fare before starting the journey.
    2. Prepaid Taxi Service:

• The airport has a prepaid taxi counter where you can book a taxi to your destination. It's a safe and reliable option. You'll receive a receipt with the fare and driver's details.
    3. Public Transport:

• You can also use public transportation if you prefer a more economical option.
    • Take a bus or the Airport Express Line (No. 4) from the airport to a central location in Kolkata, such as Esplanade or Howrah Railway Station.
    • From there, you can hire a taxi or use the Kolkata Metro for the rest of the journey. The nearest metro station to Sonagachi is Sovabazar Sutanuti Metro Station.
    Please note that Sonagachi is a sensitive area due to its nature, and it's essential to exercise caution and respect privacy and safety guidelines when conducting research. Ensure you have the necessary permissions if required, and consider engaging with local organizations or individuals who are knowledgeable about the area and its sensitivities for your documentary research.

Always prioritize your safety and well-being when visiting such areas, and make arrangements for your return journey to the airport in advance.