1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Ride A Bike In India?

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Bedi S, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Bedi S

Bedi S New Member

I am a biker back home in California, and on my trip to India this year I would really like to try riding a bike, to experience something different.

When I last came to India which was many years ago, the traffic was chaotic, and being a bit adventurous it would be good riding a bike in this chaos.

The reason for me joining the forum is to get some tips from other bikers on how to ride a bike in India?

I hope to have a pleasant ride without any mishaps!

2. Dhruv

Dhruv Member

Hi Bedi S,

Well, the traffic in India is the same, and in some parts, it has increased as more people have got their own cars which they prefer traveling in. Some places are more crowded with traffic than others, so the smoothness or ease of your ride will all depend on that.

The main tip I can give you is to keep your eyes and ears open, and speeding in India is not a good idea, as you don't know what's going to come in front of you on the road.

Apart from that, things which you need to be aware of are:

• There are traffic rules but no one on the road abides by them
    • On the road, you will see traffic consisting of not only cars and other bikers like yourself but also rickshaws, autos, the very odd horse/bull carts, little tempos, trucks, and not to mention the food stall pullers
    • Using your horn is a must while on the roads in India, you can say its a necessity if you want to go through traffic or even get to your destination. So get into the habit of using the horn when in India
    • Keep your speed low and be patient
    • Like mentioned above keep your eyes and ears wide open

Best of Luck!

3. Deven

Deven Member

It's great that you're looking to experience India from the saddle of a bike! While the traffic can be intense, it can also be an exhilarating adventure with the right preparation. Here are some tips to help you have a safe and enjoyable ride in India:

Gearing Up for Safety:

• Helmet: This is mandatory by law and absolutely essential. Opt for a good quality, ISI-marked helmet that fits snugly.
    • Protective Gear: Consider wearing riding gloves, knee guards, and a sturdy jacket for added protection in case of a mishap.
    • International Driving Permit (IDP): While not mandatory everywhere, it's highly recommended. Carry your original driver's license alongside your IDP.

Riding in Indian Traffic:

• Expect the Unexpected: Be prepared for sudden lane changes, animals on the road, and pedestrians crossing at will. Maintain a defensive riding style, stay alert, and avoid aggressive maneuvers.
    • Honking: Honking is a way of communication in Indian traffic. A short honk is often used to alert others of your presence, not necessarily anger.
    • Lane Discipline: While lane markings might exist, they may not be strictly followed. Ride cautiously and be prepared to adjust your position as needed.
    • Speed Limits: Generally lower than in California. Obey posted speed limits for your safety and to avoid fines.

Renting a Bike:
    • Options: You can rent a motorcycle from various rental agencies in major cities. Popular choices include Royal Enfield, Bajaj Pulsar, and KTM Duke.
    • Condition: Inspect the bike thoroughly before renting. Check brakes, tires, and lights, and ensure it's in good working condition.
    • Insurance: Make sure your rental includes appropriate insurance coverage.

Planning Your Ride:
    • Routes: Choose routes that are less crowded, especially if you're not familiar with Indian traffic. Ask fellow bikers or research scenic routes online.
    • Navigation: Download offline maps or invest in a local GPS device as internet connectivity might be limited on some routes.
    • Rest Stops: Plan your rest stops at reputable places. Carry water and basic snacks for the journey.

Additional Tips:
    • Learn some basic Hindi phrases: A few key phrases like "Namaste" (hello), "Dhanyavad" (thank you), and "Gaadi kaise hai?" (How is the vehicle?) can go a long way.
    • Respect Local Customs: Dress modestly, especially when visiting religious sites. Be mindful of local customs and traditions.
    • Enjoy the Ride: Despite the chaos, riding in India offers a unique perspective. Embrace the experience, soak in the sights and sounds, and connect with the country in a new way.

Finding a Biker Community:
    • Motorcycle Clubs: Many cities have motorcycle clubs that organize rides and events. Consider reaching out to them for advice and recommendations.
    By following these tips and connecting with the biker community in India, you can ensure a safe and memorable riding experience. Remember, prioritize safety, embrace the adventure, and enjoy the ride!