1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Can't Wait To Try Beach Yoga

Discussion in 'By The Sea' started by Chanterelle, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Chanterelle

Chanterelle New Member

I've been into yoga for a while, so it will be great to join some classes that are held on beaches across India. Most of the residential courses seem to be in Goa, but I am hoping there are standard classes in other places, as Goa isn't on my list of places to go.

If it comes to it I will go for something organised, so long as the focus is mainly on yoga. It seems some of the one or two week courses are heavy on health treatments, which isn't really what I am looking for

2. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

I have never attended yoga training, even though I know the benefits of yoga. Having said that I have always wanted to try yoga, Yoga in the beach, especially around the sunrise or sunset time would be an experience of life time

Chanterelle likes this.

3. lucy2017

lucy2017 New Member

I have never been to yoga either, would love to try it!
    And yoga on the beach sounds like a really idea. Probably super relaxing. Think I would be a bit scared of swallowing sand and getting it everywhere, but it would be a great thing to try!

4. Cookie

Cookie Member

Sounds like a great idea, though I don't know if I'd be too distracted by the view to concentrate on any yoga moves! How many people are usually in such a class? I wonder whether the ambient noise of the sea, wind etc would make it difficult to hear the instructor if it was a big group and you were at the back?

5. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I've practiced yoga a few times in the past, but it was always in a gymnasium environment. I think it would be so lovely to practice on a beach! Talk about just connecting with nature and feeling calm - I think a class by the beach as the sun was coming up would be just about perfection!

6. Chanterelle

Chanterelle New Member

Lucy, I don't think you'd have to worry about eating sand, unless you toppled over I suppose, but you'd have to be comfortable with sand as it does tend to get everywhere.

Cookie, those are good questions, and definitely something to think about.

Vinaya and Amelia - I totally agree, sunset would be an amazing time to do beach yoga. Twilight is a magical time, in my experience.

Goa definitely seems to be the main place to find classes, but I have also found out this place -Sharanagati Yogahaus - has a yoga retreat and is on the beach, in Varkala.

Admin likes this.
  7. Neve

Neve New Member

I have done a few yoga classes in the past, but it has been a really long time ago. However, I have never done it at the beach. That should be a completely different experience.

8. Maple

Maple New Member

The resort I stayed at the last time I was in the Caribbean had yoga classes on the beach and it was wonderful! I have never felt so relaxed while exercising. I hadn't thought about looking for a beach yoga class while in India, but I will now.

9. GinaMax

GinaMax Member

I like yoga near the beach but not on the beach. I do it first thing in the morning, and I discovered that having sand in all kinds of unmentionable places all day long was not worth the rush that I get from yoga. There are lots of people who seem to really enjoy it, even thrive on it, but I am not one of those people. I think it is one of those things that you should do at least once in your life, and then you can decide how you feel about it afterwards.

10. rz3300

rz3300 Member

That sounds about the most relaxing thing right about now. I have never even heard about it until just now, but I cannot say that I am surprised that it is a thing...it sounds so wonderful. I wish I lived in a place where it were possible, and being in India would only make it that much better. I really missed out on that one.

11. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

As someone who does his own stretching regime, don't forget you can do this on your own. Go to the local beach yourself and go through your yoga exercises at your pace while enjoying the peace of the ocean. Do not feel you have to follow a class or instructor.

12. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I've never done yoga before in my life to be honest, so I'm definitely no expert, but I'd imagine that your surroundings would play a big part in how effective it is.

Taking a yoga class in a gym full of people would be a totally different experience than a one to one session on a beach in India at sunset, for example. I know which one I'd prefer, anyway!