1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

India And Pakistan Tensions, Is It Safe For Travel?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Georgiy Kharchenko, Jan 14, 2016.

?

Can issues between Pakistan and India create problems for travelers?

1. YES

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. NO

100.0%
  1. Georgiy Kharchenko

Georgiy Kharchenko New Member

I live near Washington DC in Maryland and my Indian neighbors always recommend me to visit India, at least once in my lifetime. When I go there, my main concern is hostility you may face from the locals if you try to go and visit places around. Also, another problem is constant issues between Pakistan and India. If I were to travel near Pakistan border, where can I go and what to avoid?

2. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

Millions of tourists visit India every year and people are friendly towards visitors, you will feel welcomed every where you go.

Tensions between India and Pakistan are only in new reports. There is no tension in border areas either with an exception of J&K where firing goes on once in a while but that has been going on for 60 years now and there is nothing of tourist interest in that area. I have been to Wagah border closing ceremony a few times and there is no problem at all. It should not be a concern at all.

3. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Although there are tensions, and no clear solution, I do not think it is much of an issue for tourists. I would feel safe going to the border and traveling from India into Pakistan. Many people do, and there are rich cultures in the area offering must-see experiences. Indeed, as mentioned, there is even a point to watch the border ceremonies, because they are unique.

4. Geena

Geena New Member

Not to worry at all as the tension are strictly between themselves.

Tourists, as far as I know, are not implicated. They are quite sensitive about their religion, however, whether the Muslims or the Hindus, so I'd certainly refrain from making "religious" jokes when travelling in any parts of India.

5. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

There as been a certain amount of tension between the two countries for more years than anyone will care to remember, but that hasn't stopped both countries, especially India, from becoming a major tourist destination.

As for what @Geena is saying, as a tourist in a foreign country, I think that making certain religious remarks or jokes would get you into trouble no matter where in the world you went and its certainly something I wouldn't recommend doing.

Geena likes this.
  6. GinaMax

GinaMax Member

Yes there are tensions, but most Indians will tell you that they love American tourists, not just American either. They like tourists, it creates a profitable industry for them, so why wouldn't they. Yes tensions between Pakistan and India are high, but you can not let that put too much fear into you. Honestly tensions are high everywhere, the who world has violence and terrorism. We can't let them make us surrender out of fear. Just stay out of what isn't your business when you are there.

7. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

No matter what, keeping to the tourist locations will be a safe bet. Those people rely on visitors to earn a living and will do everything they can to ensure people feel safe and secure.

pwarbi likes this.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I think that's one of the key things to remember when travelling to any foreign country, and while you may experience more of the real feeling of the place by going off the beaten track, by doing that then your obviously going to put yourself more at risk than if you stayed in the tourist resort.

9. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Member

You'll certainly find yourself welcomed as a western tourist everywhere in Pakistan and India and you would not find it easy to get to anywhere where you would be in danger. The tensions between India and Pakistan are decades old but they keep that tension amongst themselves and do not involve foreigners in the issue. I visited Kashmir as a young man in 1992 when the tensions were higher than they are today and felt completely safe at all times. If you respect the customs and traditions of the country you are visiting you will have a fantastic welcome wherever you go.

pwarbi likes this.
  10. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Considering you was there in '92, was there anything you did differently @Steve Dawson that you think you wouldn't have done at any other time? Was there areas you was wary of going to for instance or did you just not think about it and go about your daily business as usual?

Steve Dawson likes this.
  11. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Member

I was very fortunate in that I went to India then with two friends, twins who had visited the country several times before. They arranged pretty much everything for us and I had very little to worry about. One of the most serene and relaxing weeks of my life was spent there, and we spent over a day sat on top of a mountain just staring at the incredible views and basking in the glorious nature, I doubt I will ever get the chance to do anything like that ever again now I'm an older man and married, but its something I will never forget.

pwarbi likes this.
  12. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Travelling with people who already have knowledge of the country and culture, often makes things a lot easier, and like you say, at least it meant you had little to worry about and could just enjoy the experience.

As for getting older, I'm 40 myself in a couple of years time and I think my travelling days are now limited to the family holidays a couple of times a year but given the chance again I'd go to India to see how much things have changed over the years.

Steve Dawson likes this.
  13. Geena

Geena New Member

Hearing about you guys speak of family life, I can totally relate to that. Travelling does seem like a luxury to me lately despite the many holidays my family has taken. It just doesn't feel quite the same.

When my little guy turns 8, I think it'd be a great age for us to do a bit of travelling in India. I'd love for him to see Varanasi especially.

Steve Dawson and pwarbi like this.
  14. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

We can still travel even with a family, it's just that it's a different type of travelling and we have more responsibilities to take care of than gong either on your own or with a group of friends.

Travelling is a great education for a lot of children and so if the child actually gets to visit that country instead of just reading about it in a book, then it will definitely be better for them.

Steve Dawson and Geena like this.
  15. Geena

Geena New Member

I couldn't agree more with what you're saying, @pwarbi.

Travelling, to me, is another kind of education that I think everyone ought to experience at least once in their lives. Books and theories aside, I can't think of anything better than these practical lessons we learn when we travel on top of getting to know our very own self too.

pwarbi likes this.
  16. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Member

I think 8 is a great age for your son to experience India, it'll be a magical experience that he'll keep with him for the rest of his life, he'll be old enough to appreciate all the new experiences he'll have and still young enough to not have to worry about any of the logistics of the holiday, leaving all the worry up to mum and dad. Travelling does become a little less exciting when you get older, but then again, so does almost everything else as fewer and fewer experiences become new and fresh. Staying young at heart and appreciating things as much as possible is the key to having as fresh and exciting a life as possible.

Oh I know what you mean Pwarbi, I've just hit 45 and have far less spare time and inclination to go travelling anymore. I'm so lucky to have an Indian wife with a large family so I have an excuse to go back virtually every year. I think you should try to get back to India if at all possible, many things have changed almost beyond recognition since I first went there in 1992. My holidays are much more structured and perhaps a little less exciting now, but India will always be the number one destination for me, its my second home,

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2016
    pwarbi likes this.
  17. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I do intend to return one day as my wife as never been and it's a country she's always intended to go but just never had the chance.

Wait till the children are all grown up and flew the nest and it's something we'll be looking into.

I was lucky enough to get the chance to travel a fair bit was I was young and it definitely helped me when I was growing up. Actually being in that country and experiencing the different cultures not only made you appreciate their way of life more, but itvmsde you think about what you've got aswell.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2016
  18. dblanch

dblanch New Member

If you're a foreigner trying to move between them, you should be totally fine. I think the Pakistan/Indian feud has more to do with ethnic disputes, so as a person from a foreign country you should be fine.

19. Lella

Lella New Member

I visited Kashmir as a young man in 1992 when the tensions were higher than they are today and felt completely safe at all times. India is one of the safest country to visit.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2016
  20. rz3300

rz3300 Member

I am one of those people who tends to find reasons to worry and to not do things, which is probably just some weird defense mechanism, but I felt very safe when I was in India and any of the political tensions or anything like that was completely irrelevant to anything that we did. The people there were great and everyone was accommodating...it was great.

21. GammaRay

GammaRay Member

Your embassy will always look out for you when you travel. You'd know if something was wrong if they placed a red alert in that part of the country. You'll be fine as long as you don't go out looking for trouble. It's relatively safe in India don't be like one of those people who are subject to the fear-mongering of the media. Go out, be safe and have fun in India my friend.