1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Indian Flat Bread

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Mindy, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Mindy

Mindy Member

I love Indian flatbread, especially when it is homemade. I prefer it to tortillas for most dishes, even Mexican-style. I am only familiar with a traditional-style flatbread. Does anyone know if there are any other variations?

2. Akshay

Akshay Member

I think when you mean flatbread you are referring to a chappati also known as roti. There are actually many variations in Indian bread and differ according to the locations and cuisines in India.
    Some of the other variations are:
    Prantha which is a cooked with lots of ghee or butter on it. It can be made plain or with a stuffing like cauliflower or potato.
    Puri, is deep fried. It is smaller in size and normally accompanied with chickpeas curry or potato curry.
    Bhatura is made from raised flour and is also deep fried. This is soft and fluffy and served with chickpea curry.
    Tandoori Naan is another bread made from raised flour but it is cooked in a tandoor, this is served at near enough all restaurants in India.

3. Mindy

Mindy Member

Thank you for this information! I did not know the official name, other than it was a type of flatbread, and from your descriptions above, you are correct. I believe I was talking about the rot. However, you have made me very interested in the other types, and I definitely want to give them a try.

4. Maple

Maple New Member

Naan is the only type of flatbread I've had so far, but I love it. I can't wait to get there and try it with a nice spicy curry.

5. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I've only had naan, myself - but it's absolutely one of my favorite breads. So delicious and perfectly chewy!

It might sound weird, but I love to make pizzas using naan bread as the base! It's actually really good and so easy...you can put whatever toppings on it you like, but it just works so well as a pizza base!

6. Dakota

Dakota New Member

They all sound delicious. However, I am not a big fan of fried food. I don't think I'll be trying Puri when I visit India. However, the Tandoori Naan sound good. I would love to try this bread when I visit.

7. Andre

Andre New Member

I have eaten naan before. it is delicious and goes good with curry. After reading about the other flat breads I'd like to try a few of them. I love trying different types of flat breads and they sound delicious.

8. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

I come from a country that eat too much bread and here in Serbia we have usually classic types but also many bread like stuff like pies and fritters. Some older generations eat bread all the time with everything. my father eats bread with spaghetti. It is unbelievable. I like this type of bread you have described. I am familiar with it but it is not the same as make it and I will try to make Naan and also those dip fried.

9. Isafab

Isafab New Member

Oh, I got so hungry when I read this! I love bread and I especially love Naan (as we know it here in the US). I am really looking forward to tasting many different types of bread in India!

10. rz3300

rz3300 Member

That was probably one of the best parts of travelling to India for me, and it may sound simple but there is something that they do to their flatbread that makes it amazing to dip with all the sauces that come with the various dishes. It pretty much comes with everything too, which is a big plus. I am a fan of the store bought stuff here and the homemade stuff, but there is nothing like being there and having it like it was meant to be eaten.