1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Indian Oils

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Delilah, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Delilah

Delilah New Member

I have read that Indian cooks use completely different types of oils compared to western countries. Do you have a list of different oils used in Indian food?

2. Rayne

Rayne New Member

Thank you for all the great information Vnisha. I have never even heard of some of the oils you mention. Do you know whether or not you can buy them in the states?

3. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

Some of the commonly used cooking oils in India are: mustard oil, coconut oil, soyabean oil,sunflower oil, peanuts oil,almond oil. sesame oil. Indian food is very oily and spicy. You can buy most of these oils in Indian stores.

4. Kyle

Kyle New Member

If I ever cook, I use only olive oil. But I would love to try some of the oils that Vnisha has mentioned here. What does mustard oil taste like?

5. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Personally, I love mustard oil, but it is impossible to get where I am. I also love ghee, which I just mentioned in another thread. It is a form of clarified lard, which is great for cooking. It tenderizes meat, and really helps to seal spices and flavor to meat in curries.