1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Indian Spices

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Jani, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Jani

Jani New Member

There are lots of great Indian spices, and I would like to visit an Indian market in order to bring home a variety of exotic spices back home with me. I know that we can easliy acquire curry and curcuma just about anywhere, but I believe that in India you can actually find several variations of curry, among other things. Does anyone know about any laws about bringing spices back? Also, can anyone reccomend any unusual spices that I might find interesting?

2. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I haven't had trouble bringing foods from other countries back as long as it was prepackaged, and that I declared it when I re-entered the country. I think the main restrictions come on fruit/veggies that could be harboring different bugs that aren't present here, or animal products like meats and stuff which are a big no-no as far as I'm aware. But spices/seasonings haven't posed a problem for me before, unless there has been some regulatory change that I missed!

3. Dune Dude

Dune Dude New Member

What about spices that aren't prepackaged? Like the ones you would find in an open market? Packaged stuff one can probably get anywhere. You can order most everything online these days.

4. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Curry is not generally a spice, but a mixture of spices and such. It can vary wildly. The things I like are fresh turmeric. It can be had in the US cheaply, but a big bag of fresh turmeric is something different. Some people have suggested saffron, which is grown in India. It can be bought for a little cheaper, but is not better than what is grown in Iran. Still, it is okay and a good purchase. A lot of the more interesting spices, such as those from peppers, will lose a lot of their flavor day by day. Many people purchase fresh, so if you buy a lot for later use, you will wind up with bland spices. Check some of the on-line Indian spice guides. You will learn a lot.