1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Indian Visas Approved For Shorter Than Requested

Discussion in 'Visa and Passport' started by GinaMax, Feb 27, 2016.

1. GinaMax

GinaMax Member

I am working on applying for a visa to travel to India, I just read that sometimes the amount of time you are granted is less than the amount of time you applied for. This would be really inconvenient to me, and I understand it is difficult to argue with the Embassy. How often does this happen.

*How Can I fix my Typo in the title?

Admin likes this.

2. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

I don't think this should be too common, especially if you are seeking a tourist visa. Are you staying for months or weeks? I suppose the longer you request, the higher a chance they might shorten it, but you should be able to appeal. You might even be able to contact their chamber of tourism to get things sorted out.

3. GinaMax

GinaMax Member

Thank you to whoever fixed my typo! Great amin here!

@jnorth88 I know I worry too much. I just want to make sure I leave no room for error. When I take my trip, I can not postpone or reschedule it. I just don't want to see anything go wrong for it. I will be staying for about three weeks, in two or maybe three locations. I will be on safari, but I am undecided if that will be the last or first week of my trip. I am also unsure of my other destinations. I have narrowed the list down, but it is still way too long. I want to see everything.

I am glad to know that there is a way to appeal the decision. How often does a traveler win the appeal over the length of their stay.

4. Chanterelle

Chanterelle New Member

I can't see why they would grant a visa for less time than requested unless there was something suspicious about your application, which I am sure there isn't. Maybe it would be safer to ask for a little more than you need, so you have that wiggle room if it was shortened. It makes it difficult to book things ahead if you don't know for sure you'll have the three weeks, so it makes financial sense for them to be generous.

5. Elizabetonth

Elizabetonth Member

Ah, yeah, I was worried about this the first time I went, too. They made a big thing about how they could refuse the visa, as well, and there was no guarantee, so although I was playing it cool, I was quietly worrying that I'd be refused, or that I wouldn't get it for long enough, and that everything would be awful. And then, of course, it was fine. I think they like to state these things very firmly to give themselves a way out, but I've never met or heard of anyone from a Western country who had their visa refused.

6. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Yes, it is something I have heard about India. I think they like to pasture a little bit, but, honestly, they do not want to do anything that would harm tourism. Why cut back on a tourist's stay when that just means more dollars in the economy. Unless you are flagged or suspicious, there should be no trouble, or, if there is, it should be able to be sorted out on appeal.