1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Indian Wine?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Kira, Feb 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Kira

Kira Guest

I see a discussion here on Indian beer but what about wine? Wine is my favorite alcoholic beverage and I would love to find a favorite Indian wine if there is such a thing.

2. iamawriter

iamawriter Member

India is not lagging behind when it comes to wines. There are vineyards across the length and breadth of the country but Karnataka and Maharashtra is where the most action is.

There are several wines that match with any wines made in the world. Following are a few

- Grover-Zampa Chene produced from the Grover Zampa vineyard found in Karnataka and Maharashtra

- Fratelli Sette - .This is from vineyards in Arkuj in Pune a combination of 60% Cabernet Sauvignon and 40% Sangiovese
    Fratelli is the name of the owners and Setta is 7 that denotes 7 brothers.

-KRSMA wines are managed by a couple in Hyderabad and their vineyards are situated in Hampi, Karnataka Reports have it that they received a gold medal in a competition in USA

- Charosa Tempranillo Reserve
    This wine is from the vineyards in Nashik (Vallonne-Malbec Reserve)- a ruby red dry wine which has the aroma of coconut, plum, vanilla and chocolate

These are among the 12 best wines that are produced in India.
    The price is between Ra. 1400 to Rs. 600

Home made wines are popular too. I make my own wine from Cherries, cashew, grapes, and some other fruits. They do not have a brand name but many households make them to perfection.

winebarrels.jpg

3. Londoner

Londoner New Member

I too am keeping my eye out for a good Indian wine. I understand few French masters have started cultivating soil, and are already producing some good wine. However, I understand there needs to be more care taken in transportation and storage, specially storage. It'll take time, but I feel India will produce some great wine in near future.

4. Shaane

Shaane New Member

Himachal wine is also a must-try, they have a variety of different flavored wines, mostly fruit and one of the Himachal flower Gulabi Buransh, the Pink Rhododendron which you find in Himachal.