1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

India's Biblical Connection?

Discussion in 'Itinerary' started by Benti, Dec 16, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Benti

Benti New Member

Where in India would I go if I wanted to visit places mentioned in the Bible? I know there is mention of India in the book of Esther.

Sandy likes this.

2. Annette

Annette Member

Oh gosh -- I don't know! Now I'd really kind of like to know, though. I have always wanted to see some of the places mentioned in the Bible but I thought most of them were in or near Israel.

3. Drifter

Drifter New Member

I am by no means an expert in theology, but I recall reading something about an apostle in India. I just did a spot of research and it appears that the apostle Thomas preached in many areas, eventually meeting his end in a place called Calamene and being buried there. What I can't discover is where Calamene is (or was), so this possibly isn't too helpful for you?

4. arthnel

arthnel Member

So far I've only found the same two mentions in the book of Esther. It doesn't seem that Christianity was very widespread to the region and surely not at a rapid pace when they started venturing out to spread the word to all places. I think the mention of Calamene is to the same one in India though. The New International Version of the bible even specifically uses the name India in the book of Esther.

5. Sandy

Sandy Guest

One of the best biblical connections I've heard about has been one theory of the unknown years of Christ. Most people familiar with the New Testament know that there is a gap between ages 12-30. Some believe that between those ages (or after), Jesus visited the Kashmir region. Different scholars like Jacolliot and Dowling support the idea. Of course it is not a mainstream idea, but I think it's interesting that they point out Jesus' ideas about meditation and the divine were not native to the region he lived in, but they were native to India. And if you look into Christian history, the rosary beads originated from Indian prayer beads, so there has always been a ton of exchange of ideas whether people acknowledge it or not. Anyone can know that by simply reading the book 'Eat, Pray, Love.' I think because of Greek and Roman trade at the time, and of course the Silk Road and the spice trade later, Western religions were greatly influenced by the whole India region.

Chahal likes this.
  6. arthnel

arthnel Member

@Sandy It would really make a lot of sense in terms of what was adopted from traditions in India. I've heard of the rosary beads origin like you said and the meditation culture being passed down. It could also account for theories for the missing years of Jesus as they cannot so easily refute whether he went there or not. Christianity does have many traits from Indian traditions that would explain a lot.

7. Drifter

Drifter New Member

That is so fascinating and not something which had ever occurred to me. I feel that I must go off and read all about it! It's quite frustrating really that there are so many historical issues about which we can never know the full truth, unless some sort of archaeological proof were to be discovered.

8. tabby

tabby Member

Wow! I didn't think that India has biblical connections at all. I've only associated India with Hinduism and not Christianity. Fascinating! So, it truly got me curious and so turned to Google to satisfy my curiosity, too. Unfortunately, I only found these two verses mentioning India from the King James Version. There was no mention of a SPECIFIC PLACE in India though.

Esther 1:1 - Now it came to pass in the days of Ahasuerus, (this [is] Ahasuerus which reigned, from India even unto Ethiopia, [over] an hundred and seven and twenty provinces:)

Esther 8:9 Then were the king's scribes called at that time in the third month, that is, the month Sivan, on the three and twentieth day thereof; and it was written according to all that Mordecai commanded unto the Jews, and to the lieutenants, and the deputies and rulers of the provinces which are from India unto Ethiopia, an hundred twenty and seven provinces, unto every province according to the writing thereof, and unto every people after their language, and to the Jews according to their writing, and according to their language.

9. tri-n-b-helpful

tri-n-b-helpful New Member

In neighboring Kashmir, you may visit the alleged real tomb or final resting place of Jesus Christ after his living productively to a ripe old age of about 120 years, which has been preserved for generations by one Muslim family. You may think the Bible will contradict this, but many Christian Bible Scholars hold it to be true. From there you can start your journey in tracing Jesus in India during those missing years which many Christians believe Jesus spent learning carpentry with Joseph at home! There have actually been a large number of published works detailing Jesus entire life over the centuries! You can also check on Youtube where India's Government has posted a documentary supporting this view. You can perhaps also later try to visit the sites of the Persian and Egyptian Secret Schools Jesus also graduated from in other countries. I've read many physical books on the subject and interestingly enough, the all seem to agree or at least are not in conflict. Jesus was one very well-traveled and well-educated dude whose life and times were far from boring! :)

Admin likes this.
  10. TravelCheap3

TravelCheap3 Member

You can always go to Kashmir and see the resting place of Jesus Christ.

11. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Well, this topic gets into some interesting historical facts. It really depends on whether you accept that Christianity is descended from a body of mythology which existed long before Christ or the Jewish people. In Sumeria, we have Gilgamesh and the stories of the flood, which clearly informed the Biblical narrative of the Flood. There are also ties, or comparisons between Indian mythology and Abrahamaic religions. I would look into Zoroastrianism, though I do not know how widely they reached into India, and what of them remains.

12. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Thomas the Apostle or "doubting Thomas" was one of the Apostles of Jesus. It is said that he preached the Lord's teachings from as far as Tamilakam in India. He is believed to have gone to India in AD 52 to spread the teachings of Christianity. Unfortunately, he was killed in AD 72 near Chennai. It is said that he was "martyred" there. So to this day, the Saint Thomas Mount is a hillock dedicated to the life and mission of Thomas the Apostle. It can be found in Guindy near Chennai International Airport.

In a related note, some other crosses, called the Saint Thomas Crosses, were found in Kerala, Mylapore and Goa. These are crosses dating back even from the 6th century. It is also called the Nasrani Meronah. So you can also try visiting the churches in these places because it is connected still to Thomas the Apostle.

There was also a mention of India in Esther 1:1 and 8:9 but it isn't specific. Then there's a mention in Mark 14:3 of the perfume agent "Nard" which was thought to be found in the Himalayas in India.

I hope this helps!

Rako, tabby, Admin and 1 other person like this.
  13. CaptainOblivious

CaptainOblivious New Member

This was quite fascinating to me, as I have always associated India with Hinduism. This is now in my list of must see places. Also interesting is the fact that this fits in with the Bible!

14. daniel john

daniel john New Member

The higher castes within Indian culture that converted to Christianity traditionally claim that it was St. Thomas that brought the faith to India. I understand that the area within and around Kerala have some connection to this tradition, so if you are seeking out further information, then a visit there might be in order. Hope this helps!

15. tabby

tabby Member

While I may not be the OP, but these are interesting facts you got here. I appreciate these bits of information as they somehow forms part of the Christian message to spread the gospel in all corners of the world until all under heavens will hear the Good News of Jesus Christ. At least this speaks of how the gospel has possibly traveled to India. I guess I just still find it interesting as I've always associated India with Hinduism.

16. Bruno Martins

Bruno Martins New Member

The Aquarian Gospel of Jesus the Chris was written by Levi Dowling and first published in 1908. Here he presented a complete story for the so called lost years of Jesus in the bible. Jesus turns up in India for some time before his eventual crucifixion. This book is a work of fiction however but has attracted many people to look at it as having some basis in truth.

Historically Buddhism is the religion with most presence in India at the time most of these events were supposed to have happened.

17. Elaine Lat

Elaine Lat Member

Admittedly, I have no knowledge of any Indians mentioned in the Bible but I suppose those who are frequent Bible readers would know something. I've only planned a pilgrimage to Israel because the obvious place to be if you want to be where Jesus taught the people the words of God. If there's a connection, a trip to that place in India would definitely be a good place to consider. I will need to make more research about this.

18. Rako

Rako Guest

There is no specific place in India as far as I am aware that is mentioned in the Bible. That is because the Bible basically takes place in the Middle East, Northern Africa, and Mediteranean.

However, things from the whole region of India are mentioned in the Bible, because of Middle East trade with India. So the whole of India is mentioned, not a specific place.

Personally, I don't believe the claim about Jesus going to India and I don't have a strong opinion about whether Thomas did. But there was at least a major Christian community in India even before the Roman empire converted. It's mentioned in Church Fathers' writings outside the Bible.

19. Rako

Rako Guest

There are more places than just Esther that discuss India though. See my thread here:
    orthodoxchristianity [DOT] net/forum/index.php/topic,70048.0/topicseen.html

20. djtravels

djtravels Member

Go to Kerala. Seek out St. Thomas's Church in Pelayur. It's one of the oldest Churches in the world.
    In fact, go to Kerala if you're seeking the oldest Islamic structures or Judaic monuments as well.

Kerala was the trading hub for the world. And so there was a lot of cultural exchange. The rulers there were tolerant of other religions, which is why you'll find that if a religion was established in the world, it likely has a connection to Kerala.

Most of the places mentioned in the Bible can be found in Kerala and Tamil Nadu.

Admin and Blue Betta like this.
  21. Blue Betta

Blue Betta New Member

Like the person above said, go to Kerala and Tamil Nadu. There is a strong Christian community there. If you travel the streets, you will see a lot of roadside and crossroads shrines to Christian figures, especially Jesus. Southern India also is home to some of the oldest civilizations (excluding the Indus Valley around Iraq and Iran, of course), and there is a lot of cultural history from around that time.

22. Rako

Rako Guest

I think if you want to travel abroad and see Biblical sites you really need to pick the places Jesus was in: Lebanon, Syria, Egypt, Jordan, Palestinian territories, State of Israel. Those places show up in the Old Testament writings too in major ways.

Other places like
    • India (the ships traveling to the land of Ophir to help build Solomon's temple),
    • Rome (Peter and Paul),
    • Greece/Cyprus (Paul),
    • Turkey (The Seven Churches in Revelation)
    • Iraq (ie. Babylon),
    • Saudia Arabia (Moses in the desert) and
    • Ethiopia (Queen of Sheba)
    all have a connection to the Bible, but it's really very secondary.

If you go to those places you can do pilgrimages, but they are not usually part of the Bible stories directly. Like you can visit St Thomas' places in India even if they aren't mentioned in the Bible.

I guess you realized all that by now.

23. Rako

Rako Guest

I guess technically you would go to the ports of India, Sri Lanka and Pakistan that the Phoenician traders went to. Wikipedia discusses it under OPHIR.
    And you would visit the places St Thomas is remembered at.

But did Thomas actually go to India? Did St. Andrew go to Ukraine? Did Joseph Arimathene go to Britain? I don't have a strong opinion.

24. Trevlr

Trevlr New Member

There are no historical places in India which are mentioned in the Bible. Most stories revolve around Israel, Syria and Egypt. I am yet to learn about ancient time Christianity in India. I have however learnt and heard about Mother Theresa who championed humanity projects under Christianity.

25. djtravels

djtravels Member

Check out my reply above to know about Christianity in India in ancient times. Also:

The Book of Esther

Now it came to pass in the days of Ahasuerus (this was the Ahasuerus who reigned over one hundred and twenty-seven provinces, from India to Ethiopia) (Esther 1:1).

So the king’s scribes were called at that time, in the third month, which is the month of Sivan, on the twenty-third day; and it was written, according to all that Mordecai commanded, to the Jews, the satraps, the governors, and the princes of the provinces from India to Ethiopia, one hundred and twenty-seven provinces in all, to every province in its own script, to every people in their own language, and to the Jews in their own script and language (Esther 8:9).

Additionally:

Bartholomew, again, preached to the Indians, to whom he also gave the Gospel according to Matthew, and was crucified with his head downward, and was buried in Allanum, a town of the great Armenia

And Thomas preached to the Parthians, Medes, Persians, Hyrcanians, Bactrians, and Margians, and was thrust through in the four members of his body with a pine spears at Calamene, the city of India, and was buried there.

As already mentioned, St. Thomas preached in Kerala, Tamil Nadu, etc. And he was assassinated in Chennai which the Bible calls "Calamene". And this is precisely why St. Thomas' Cathedral holds historical and biblical importance.

Also, its important to note that Armenia is in Europe and is considered a "Pagan" country, however, most of the Pagan temples there have the same gods (and names, including Varahmihir or mihir) as Hindu temples. Just a fun fact for the theology buffs.