1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting Facts About Bhutan

Discussion in 'Bhutan' started by Gabydi, Dec 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Gabydi

Gabydi Member

They paint phalluses in the walls of regular houses or hang these kinds of figures from the roof to chase away demons and evil spirits.

They restrict the amount of visitors per year, and even if you are able to visit you’re not allowed to travel freely, you have to move around with a guide. This rule does not apply to Indian citizens.

The national sport is archery

Tobacco is forbidden

Admin likes this.

2. Barty

Barty New Member

Well...Ok. I didn't know that about the phalluses. Good to know, as I may have thought that a phallus was something perverse. And, tobacco forbidden? That sounds a bit extreme. I am a non-smoker, but still...

3. tri-n-b-helpful

tri-n-b-helpful New Member

Bhutan is also very famous for it's successful enforcement in banning alcohol since the early 1990's. Bhutan is very well known for its wise governance and its King has been working on increasing Gross National Happiness of its people since 1972.

I can remember in December 2004 when Bhutan became the first country on earth to ban smoking both outdoors and in all public places as well as the sale of all tobacco products.

Bhutan also has a very advanced education system, providing free education to all her citizens from primary school through to university. I believe there is a strong element of Buddhism involved in the system, whereby detachment from the material world is a priority. In addition, the government pays the medical expenses for all of Bhutan's citizens.

I would like to visit the Kingdom of Bhutan one day. I have heard the King is working towards a ban on meat consumption and animal slaughter. I wish the country every success.:)

4. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I had no idea about these things! I'm not a smoker but I'm sure for a lot of people the fact that tobacco is forbidden would make life difficult for some tourists. I also thought the part about the phalluses was interesting! Anywhere else in the world you just see them being drawn as graffiti or something!

5. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

I wonder what impacts their ban on alcohol and tobacco have. I know that in many Muslim countries, they ban alcohol, but it is still available in black markets. Is this the case in Bhutan, or are they far more strict in their prohibition?