1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is drinking beer not violating any laws or tradition?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Alexandoy, May 7, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

I am asking this because there are places that alcohol is banned and drinking beer is against the culture. This is just to be safe because violating a cultural tradition is a tourist’s nightmare. What part of India prohibits drinking of alcohol in public places?

2. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Drinking alcohol in public places is prohibited all across the country including beer. You cannot drink anywhere in public unless it is a licensed premises like a bar or a club or a restaurant where they serve alcohol. There are states like Bihar and Gujrat where alcohol is prohibited completely so you cant even buy any there. I am not sure if high end properties still have bars there or not as I remember reading somewhere that Gujrat's premium hotels do serve alcohol to their guests. Don't quote me on this as I may be wrong.

Alexandoy likes this.

3. TiaraSy

TiaraSy New Member

Thanks for posing that question, Alexandoy. That is something that I had never thought about, but as I am contemplating taking a trip to India and my partner and I like to go out and drink on occasion, I think it's worth doing the research on all the places we will be visiting in order to learn about their laws regarding this. Nothing would spoil our vacation faster than being told we couldn't drink at all.

4. pravish

pravish Member

Drinking alcohol in public places is punishable by law. This law applied to the whole of India. There are a few states which are termed as "Dry State". In these states sale and consumption of alcohol is prohibited. Posession of alcohol in these states is also illegal and is punishable. In other states sale and consumption of aclohol is legal. Alcoholic beavrages can only be consumed in a licenced restraunt or a place which has legal permission to serve alcohol. You may not park your car in a place and drink inside the car too.