1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is It Easy To Find Red Ant Chutney?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Jaynee, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Jaynee

Jaynee New Member

I am intrigued by the idea of this unusual chutney, and I am guessing it would be eaten with curry and rice, right? I have no idea how easy it is to find though. Is this a delicacy, and therefore really hard to find or extremely expensive? If anyone has tried it I'd love some feedback on the taste and texture. I imagine it would be crunchy and spicy.

2. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

I watched a TV show and they were eating it on its own, no rice.

The only people who eat this red any chutney are tribals living in Chhattisgarh area and this is not a dish you would find anywhere on a restaurant menu.

Delicacy? May be for those who eat it but for the 99.99999% of us Indians it is unheard of. You won't find many people who even know about such a dish. I know because I have an interest in different food habits and stuff. It is not expensive at all but you will spend a bit of money getting to a place where they sell this red ant chutney.

3. JManara

JManara Member

Do they actually use red ants to make this chutney? I'm sorry but I don't think I'd be able to eat something that was made with bugs. I have a hard enough time with live bugs I can't imagine wanting to eat dead ones.

4. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

Yes red ants that are collected from the forests. Red ants are made into a paste and some other stuff added to it. This chutney is served in small cups made of leaves. If you want to try this red ant chutney then go to Chhattisgarh and find someone in the local tribe to prepare it for you :) Dont forget to tell us how it went ;)

5. Rayne

Rayne New Member

I found this website that says it is actually a delicacy. I don't think I could eat it though. I'd never get past the thought of eating red ants. I do like the leaf cups. Anyone could make those.

6. Seraphina

Seraphina New Member

I have to second this thought. I can't even bring myself to try cricket flour, even though it's getting a lot of raves as a good source of protein. Something made with red ants would be out of the question.