1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is The Zika Virus In India?

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by GinaMax, Feb 9, 2016.

1. GinaMax

GinaMax Member

I live in the United States, where we have the Zika virus. This is a virus that is foretasted to cause birth defects for hundreds or thousands of babies. Is the Zika Virus in India yet? Or, is it still only in South and North America. It is a reminder, that when we travel we had better be sure we do not accidentally bring mosquitoes with us. I think every traveler who lives in an area with confirmed cases of the virus needs to take responsibility for how they pack.

2. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

There are no cases of Zika virus in India ever. It's a South American thing and we lot in India are pretty good at dealing with mosquitoes any way so nothing to worry about :)

amelia88 likes this.

3. rz3300

rz3300 Member

Well I would surely be aware of it if I have travelling plans, as it seems that everyday there is new news surrounding the disease. From what I understand the answer is no, but that does not mean that you should skip the precautions and think that you are okay. I would do as much research as I can and plan accordingly.

4. GinaMax

GinaMax Member

I am glad to hear that Zika is still on this side of the pond. I hope that the governments of the world remain vigilant. The fact that there is no confirmed cases of this new virus is great news. There are so many people who used to travel to South America who now need to find another vacation destination. I used to travel there myself, but I have no desire to head there until they get this under control.

5. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

There are cases of Zika in Europe, as well, but I do not know if the host mosquito can live in those regions. I would think it is possible in India. Really, I don't know how travelers could be accidentally capturing mosquitoes and not know about. You even brush one and you likely damaged its ability to fly and live. But I would think that someone sick with Zika might be able to communicate the virus to another mosquito.

Ultimately, I think it is another scare story blown out of proportion by the media. The only reason it was a problem here in South America is because the governments were corrupt and embezzled the funds meant to spray for pests. Even basic insect control would have taken care of things.

6. xTinx

xTinx Member

I would concur with the statements above that Zika has not yet infiltrated India. None of its citizens have been diagnosed with the virus. But just because this is the case that does not mean you're just going to be lax and not take extra measures to stay safe. Even if you're going to a country that's not yet Zika-infested, you still have responsibilities to uphold.

7. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Good to hear it hasn't reached there. There's been a fair bit of discussion about it here - people are freaking out a little, like they tend to any time a new virus is doing the rounds and I think people jump to conclusions or think it's a worldwide epidemic. I think it's pretty contained to South America so unless you've travelled there you shouldn't have a problem!

8. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Well, I think over time, Zika will probably spread far and wide. It probably is already throughout the world in some mutated strain, just as most viruses exist everywhere. The real important issue is that the world needs mosquito control, not just for Zika, but for all mosquito born viruses, diseases, and infections. This is best achieved through spraying, and that should be one of our first priorities in poverty stricken areas.