1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jagannath Puri Temple darshan timings

Discussion in 'East India' started by JyotiMalik, Sep 3, 2016.

1. JyotiMalik

JyotiMalik New Member

I will be driving past the Jagannath Temple in Puri, and I really would like to go and do darshan inside.

I know that for most temples there are darshan timings, so I need to know what the Jagannath Temple darshan timings are so I can leave from my home accordingly and be able to spend at least 10 minutes peacefully in the temple.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello there, welcome to the forum!

The Jagannath Temple of Puri is dedicated to the Lord Jagannath. It is located on the Eastern Coast of India, in Puri at the state of Odisha. The temple is part of the Char Dham Yatra that a Hindu is expected to make in his lifetime. It was built in the 12th century during the reign of Anantavarman Chodaganga Deva..

The temple is most visited during the Rath Yatra Festival or also known as the Chariot Festival. During this time, the three main deities of the temple are hauled in elaborately decorated temple cars. The idols of the deities in the temple are made of wood. Every 12 or 19 years, these wooden idols are replaced by using sacred trees.

The three main deities presiding in the temple are Lord Jagannath, Lord Balabhadra and Goddess Subhadra. In the inner sanctum, you can find these three deities sitting in the Ratnabedi or the bejewelled platform. These deities are also adorned in different garments and jewelries according to the season.

Only Hindu Indians are allowed in the temple premises. Visitors who are not of Indian descent can pay their respect at the image of Lord Jagannath, known as Patitapavana, at the main entrance to the temple. The temple is open everyday from 5:00 am to 12:00 midnight. Here are the darshan timings:
    • Public Darshan or Sahana Mela - From 7:00 am to 8:00 am. This darshan is free of charge.
    • Special Darshan or Pari Manik Darshan - Timings vary but it's usually at 5:00 am, 8:00 am, 10:00 am, 1:00 pm and 8:00 pm. This darshan costs Rs. 50 per person and you'd be able to go near the deities with this fee.
    The ticket counter opens 15 to 20 minutes before the designated schedule. It will then close 30 minutes after so make sure that you're there 30 minutes before your preferred schedule.

I hope this helps!