1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kerala backwaters - solo or not

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by cupidon, Dec 30, 2014.

1. cupidon

cupidon New Member

Hi

I am looking to enjoy Kerala backwaters around 25/26th March, I will be flying to Kerala after completing my one week job in Pune and want to relax for some time. I was wondering if you have any advice on doing this solo. I have done a fair bit of solo traveling in Asia, but this would be my first time in South India. I would also like to hear from anyone who is thinking of doing the same at the end of March so we can hook up.

Thanks
    LW

2. Prits

Prits Member

I am sure you must have reached Kerala by now...:)
    If you are a solo traveler that is perfectly fine, it would be the same way you have been traveling before. Kerala is a tourist area so you wont have any problems and you will find many other travelers, solo like yourself or in groups to be with.

3. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

Going on a house boat in Kerala on your own is a bad idea, you would be bored to death and whatever little peace you find while you are on your own would be taken away by mosquitoes and other insects. If you are going solo try some resorts.

4. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Kerala is popularly known as "God's Own Country." Why? Because it has rich vegetation, backwaters, biological diversity and beaches. It is generally a safe tourist destination to visit. It can be easily accessed through trains and airports. Here's a few places that you cannot miss when visiting Kerala:
    • Wayanad. If you're fond of hiking, then this place would fit you. It offers lush flora as well as nearby coffee plantations. You can also explore caves and sanctuaries around the area.
    • Kochi. It earns its background and history from Portugal. Consider visiting the Dutch Palace and Saint Francis Church. The Kochi Fort offers amazing views of the sunset.
    • Varkala. If you're into swimming, then consider the beaches around Varkala. Otherwise, visit the temples around the town if you're up to it.
    • Bolgatty Island. If you have been wanting to visit a remote island, free from the crowd and hustles of the city, then Bolgatty Island is for you. It has a tranquil and serene surroundings, perfect for just basking in the water and sun.
    • Munnar. This is a hill station but it offers a lot of destinations, waterfalls, a lake and even a park.
    Here's a few precautions though:
    • As much as possible, avoid travelling at night time.
    • Always carry your essentials with you, this includes emergency contact numbers and your cellphone as well.
    • Trust your instinct when it's telling you something is dangerous.
    I hope this helps and enjoy your trip!